We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental cars

West Palm...
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
rental cars

I am gonna try to get to the blues from the top blues festival in winter park...want to fly to Denver from ft. Lauderdale..and rent a car for a week ..the quotes from the airport rentals are high..like 4-5 hundred...why so high ..any ideas....found a rental place in Denver 1980 broadway for 199...what is the cheapest way to get there from the airport...need help..thanks

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,212 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental cars

There is an easier way, Try the rental car counters along Quebec Street. There is an Avis and an Enterprise, both at Doubletree Hotels, about a 1/2 mile apart Plus a Hertz, though I forget what hotel. All have free shuttles to and from the Airport.

www.avis.com/car-rental/location/details.ac… Avis

http://tinyurl.com/ckgogjk Enterprise

http://tinyurl.com/bsmakr9 Hertz

You can get downtown by bus too

http://www.rtd-denver.com/skyride.shtml

Edited: 06 May 2013, 17:34
Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
647 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental cars

We recently rented a car for the weekend 6-10 June, and got OK rates ($115 nett for 4 days for a Camry) with budget. Alternatives were more like $200 for smaller cars.

We did this by (1) checking promos with various frequent flier programs, then (2) checking with 3rd party booking engines (travelocity etc.), then (3) checking rates directly with car rental companies (while plugging in rate codes obtained from the airline frequent flier promo pages).

We found, recently, that Hertz and Avis had only posted promos through the end of May, but Budget had its promo running through the end of June. That made the difference for us.

BTW, we rented off-airport, to avoid the airport surcharges.

Edited: 12 May 2013, 20:41
Alberta
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental cars

I have been looking at airport rental prices as well and noticed they seem quite high especially for an SUV. I compared one particular companies different locations and noticed quite a difference. Airport location was 1500 for a SUV for 10 days. Same SUV at an off airport location 4 miles away was only 600. I noticed in the fine print that if a person rents off airport within 24 hours of arriving at the airport that they would have to pay the airport fees regardless of where you rented.

My question would be how would they know if I landed within 24 hours or not? Its not like I am going to volunteer that information if it is going to cost me more money. The airport fees total 208 dollars which is not bad but still it would cost 808 dollars. So my next question is is the 692 dollars extra a money grab on tourists getting off the plane?

I am questioning this because even in places like Maui, Florida, Vegas, Canada and even Europe I never found a significant difference in price between airport and non airport locations. (I have rented SUV's in all location listed except Europe). Any thoughts?

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental cars

The airport prices at DIA are unreal compared to other hot tourist places across the country. Don't know what is going on there.

Several months ago I made a reservation with the Enterprise on Quebec. Got a mid size for a total price of $361.00 for July 24-August 1. Yesterday everything went great. I was picked up from DIA in about 15 mins by the Double Tree Shuttle. I was NOT charged any additional fees. I was not asked if I came from the air port. I got the rate that I made on the internet.

Alberta
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental cars

Its good to hear Roy that your rental experience went well, without being asked about if you just flew in. I checked again this morning about renting an SUV from the same particular company as mentioned in my previous post and the price was even higher at the airport.

So I booked something off location for a much lower rate. Now I need to get some Bronco tickets!

6. Re: rental cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 05:16