We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is This a Good Solution to the Denver Toll Issues for Rental

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is This a Good Solution to the Denver Toll Issues for Rental

Hi.

I'm traveling to Denver next month and will be on the ground for about 9 days. Best car rental rate I could find is from Dollar. I read about the tolling issues as they affect car rental drivers and then looked into Dollar's Pass24 solution. If I were to take this option it would add over $100 to the cost of my rental.

I corresponded with Dollar and asked if I could 'use my own device' and received a response that I could. I also spoke to someone at Dollar's customer service and asked if I had my own ExpressToll account if I could add the license plate of the rental car to the account and they said I could. I called ExpressToll and they said I could sign up for an account online at: www.expresstoll.com and then add the license plate number for the rental car to my account from the rental agency's lot and indicate the start and end dates for the the license plate. I can do this from my iphone.

Looking at the ExpressToll website it appears that this is a viable solution. There are no recurring charges for the ExpressToll account and if you use the 'license plate reader' option instead of the sticker, you do not need to keep a credit balance in your account.

Has anyone else used this solution before, and if so, were there any problems later?

Thanks for your help.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,853 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is This a Good Solution to the Denver Toll Issues for Rental

You don't have to go on the toll roads. I have lived in Denver for 20 years and have been on the toll road maybe 5 times. Dollar has not gotten the best reviews here BTW. Under the FAQ section upper right is

<<Can you explain the options and fees for toll roads when renting a car? >> Click if you want to read more.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 22:15
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is This a Good Solution to the Denver Toll Issues for Rental

Thanks. I've read the posts both about Dollar and about tolling.

I think that as I am an out-of-towner it will be easier just to take the mst direct routes to get to the places that we need to go--and even if I tried to avoid the toll roads, it sounds as though it's easy to get onto them by accident. I'm thinking that signing up for the ExpressToll acount has no down side. If I am on a toll road I'm covered and will pay only the toll due. No daily fees, no surcharges, no excessive 'administrative' fees.

If anyone has signed up for an ExpressToll account to use with a rental car just for a visit to Denver I'd appreciate their sharing their experiences--good or bad.

Thanks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,104 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is This a Good Solution to the Denver Toll Issues for Rental

There is only 1 main toll road E470 and you don't need to go on it to get around Denver. It actually is out of the way for most places you will be going.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,983 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is This a Good Solution to the Denver Toll Issues for Rental

For absolute sure you do not want to go there. As noted, there's no reason you need to ever hit the toll road and it can only lead to financial disaster.

Good luck.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,719 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is This a Good Solution to the Denver Toll Issues for Rental

Waaaaaaay to much effort - super easy, there is a gigantic yellow TOLL sign at the one possible E-470 entrance from the airport rd - virtually impossible to miss. I think the true problem is not people missing the sign, or accidentally getting on the toll road, but thinking they will go down the ramp and pay - and voila there is no toll booth or turn around. E-470 is not necessarily the most direct route unless you are going north, then maybe it saves you a little time. Millions of people avoid it every year. Unnecessary vacation worrying IMO.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is This a Good Solution to the Denver Toll Issues for Rental

I agree, no need to worry. We visit Denver several times a year and travel from Denver heading north. We have never even come close to needing the toll road or using it accidentally, and you won't either. As Casa Azul points out, it would be out of the way for most places you'd likely be going. You can use C 470 all you like...it is only E 470 that is the toll road and it is very easily avoided.

7. Re: Is This a Good Solution to the Denver Toll Issues for Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 06:19