We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire denver

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
car hire denver

I am freom ireland an wondering if anyone know of a budget carhire company from ireland or usa. we need a car for over 20 days and need to get it from denver and return to san franscisco.

hope someone can help. do we need to buy extra car insurance when hiring a car in usa?

thanks

ysh

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,376 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire denver

ysh,

Post this question on the road trip forum. Link here-

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Tet, SWT and Valiantsontour do American road trips all the time and they know a lot about car rentals from UK and Europe.

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire denver

Thank you peachbelle 8288. Will do that.

Regds ysh

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire denver

Some thoughts:

1. One-way rentals can be expensive, or cheap, depending on which companies might want to move inventory to your intended destination - which companies are neutral - which ones absolutely want to move inventory in the opposite direction - and which companies don't have company-owned or same-franchise outlets at both ends of your trip.

2. When I look for rentals, especially one-way rentals, I first check the meta-agencies like Travelocity, Orbitz, or Expedia - to see if they uncover a good deal. If not - I try nearby destinations (Oakland, San Jose, etc in your case) for possibilities. Checking off-airport locations is also potentially useful. If I get lucky, I then check the appropriate company's site directly. I also look for bonus discounts available, say, on airline frequent flier programme Websites. Those are often only available for 1-2 months ahead of the current date.

3. Consider doing a search on a 21 day rental (an even 3 weeks) which may get some cheaper rates. Then confirm that you can return the car a day early at the same rate (this is normally the case). Bookings with American car rental agencies are normally not prepay bookings - and are normally easy to cancel - so many people book an acceptable rate (to, in theory, "lock it in") while continuing to look for better ones later. (But, as a courtesy it's helpful to cancel an earlier booking if you lock in a better rate later.)

5. For domestic car hire, I get an additional rider added to my home car insurance that covers rental cars. But I suspect that might not be an option for you - for renting in North America? Also, check terms with your credit card issuers - and get terms in writing - on possible collision damage, liability/3rd party, and "loss from vehicle" coverage if you pay with those cards. Check with Irish or European agencies to see if you can get an "all inclusive" rate for the USA if you book through them.

Of course, check the reputations of rental car companies. Fox often has good rates, but gets blistering reviews from customers/victims. Many 2nd tier companies (e.g. Alamo, Dollar, Thrifty) have become snapped up by majors - so that many brands are consolidated under a relatively small number of owners. But this does not always mean an upgrade in rental terms, service, or experience by customers. If you get a good rate from a major (Hertz, Avis, National, Budget) you may have the best of all outcomes. IMHO, this is often possible - as such majors often move inventory more creatively than some others.

Good luck finding a good rate!

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire denver

Thanks so much Earthingonline for the useful information. I shall follow yr advice and check on the companies. I got a quote from carhire 3000 for 356 pounds and a one way rental fee of 250 us dollars. Will check the nes u mention.

Thank you very much

Regds ysh

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,376 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire denver

Here is an article from people on the road trip forum with updated info on car rental is the US-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k4713887…

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire denver

Thank you peachbelle8288 for the link. I shall read it.

Regds ysh

7. Re: car hire denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Denver