We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic train ride--Leadville train or Georgetown Loop?

Katy, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Scenic train ride--Leadville train or Georgetown Loop?

We will be in the Denver area and would appreciate advice on a scenic rail ride in the area before driving up to Estes Park. We are looking at either the Leadville train or the Georgetown Loop. We are two couples, no children. Can anyone make recommendations on which ride to choose?

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic train ride--Leadville train or Georgetown Loop?

Have you looked at reviews? I have not done the Leadville train but have driven its route. The Georgetown train is good not great in my opinion. Adding the mine tour would make it more interesting. Georgetown would be closer. You could then drive the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway to Estes Park.

http://mapq.st/13csDPz

Of course the drive along I-70 and the Top of the Rockies Scenic Byway to Leadville is a great drive. It would make a long day to do that and drive over Trail Ridge Road to Estes Park. You do not want to just drive Trail Ridge Road, too many great overlooks and short trails to explore along the way. You would want another day for TRR.

http://mapq.st/14AUDb5

You could still drive the Peak to Peak to Estes Park from Leadville.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33520-d53…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33440-d26…

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,632 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic train ride--Leadville train or Georgetown Loop?

I've done the Georgetown Loop and mine tour more times than I can remember and have always enjoyed it. It is scenic, you go through the forest and along and over Clear Creek - but there are no outstanding mountain views. I have not taken the Leadville train but from the photos on their website the views are spectacular. It's a longer train ride also.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic train ride--Leadville train or Georgetown Loop?

if views are more impt. perhaps try Leadville. Georgetown is along I-70 for a portion. However we enjoyed it there still though it's really not a loop in the way you'd picture it, most of it is just one way out and one way back. The mine tour would add extra interest too.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic train ride--Leadville train or Georgetown Loop?

This reviewer took both train trips.

www.tripadvisor.com/members-reviews/lbkm

Katy, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic train ride--Leadville train or Georgetown Loop?

Thank you so much for the great information and mapquest links. It is extremely helpful, especially since we are unfamiliar with the area. After looking at it all, and since the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway was on our list of things to do, I think we probably will do the Georgetown Loop train, with the optional mine tour, and then head up to Estes Park via the Peak to Peak route.

Thank you for clarifying a few things for us and for the advice!

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
647 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic train ride--Leadville train or Georgetown Loop?

Have you considered Amtrak between Denver and Winter Park (or farther along the line) and return? That route is quite scenic and should give you time for a walk around and a leisurely lunch (or more) in Winter Park. Note that "Winter Park" Amtrak station is in Florida - the station for Winter Park CO is Fraser. Link to info for getting around Fraser & Winter Park:

playwinterpark.com/around_here_around_local_…

7. Re: Scenic train ride--Leadville train or Georgetown Loop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 05:17