We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Retirement in Denver - which neighborhoods?

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
461 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Retirement in Denver - which neighborhoods?

Hi! Moving from Chicago so my husband can ski more in retirement. I am not a skier and would like to enjoy city amenities, park district fitness programs,and good library programming. I have endured 1.5 hour drive times and 1 hour train times getting into the city here and would like to avoid that in retirement. Also hope to travel more, so being less than an hour away from the airport would be appreciated. With these concerns, what neighborhoods should we check out, and where do you recommend I book a hotel? Coming this weekend.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Retirement in Denver - which neighborhoods?

Hi, mary_228, and welcome to the Colorado forums. As you know, Trip Advisor is for travelers rather than relocation info, but I believe your focus for this question is where to book a hotel and what neighborhoods to visit on this exploratory trip, so maybe TA will let your question stand.

A downtown hotel would be good, and I like the hotels in West Denver/Golden (and Lakewood) because they don't have fees for parking but are fairly convenient both for getting downtown and heading west into the mountains.

I'd get something booked as soon as possible. We had family members driving through a couple of weeks ago who decided they'd stop in Denver, and they had a hard time finding a room at the last minute.

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
461 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Retirement in Denver - which neighborhoods?

Oh dear. I hadn't realized that about relocation info. Without knowing anyone in the area to show us around, I figured I'd turn to TA for advice. Well, it is a four day weekend in Denver to explore the city! I had a recommendation to visit Wash Park and the Cherry Creek hotels are nearby. But if that's like a suburban mall/office park neighborhood, it wouldn't be much of a getaway ;)

At this point I can get the Sheraton on PL at $75 but we've stayed there when it was the Adams Mark and are not interested in staying there again. If we stay downtown without a car, which desirable neighborhoods can be reached by mass transit?

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Retirement in Denver - which neighborhoods?

Much of the Denver area is linked by mass transit. Here's the link to RTD website, which covers bus and light rail. http://www.rtd-denver.com/

There's also a special senior ride option w/ RTD that enables groups of ten or more to go to special events. http://www.rtd-denver.com/seniorRide.shtml

You might also look to the south of Denver. The Denver Tech area has lots of hotels with free parking and has the light rail going to downtown. Also very easy access to the airport.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Retirement in Denver - which neighborhoods?

www.denver.org is a good resource and has a guide to the various neighborhoods. You might find some specials on lodging, too.

http://www.denver.org/metro/neighborhoods

See the #3 reply in this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33388-i253-k61481…

Here's are a couple of previous questions about Denver neighborhoods: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33388-i253-k60263… tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33388-i253-k60101…

And one about staying in the Cherry Creek area: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33388-i253-k58259…

Plus you can use the search feature to find more previous questions.

http://www.city-data.com/ is another website that is sometimes mentioned as a resource for those who are looking for relocation advice, and they have a forum, as well. That might be a good place to check in for the relocation aspect of your question.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Retirement in Denver - which neighborhoods?

To stay consistent with TA's travel philosophy - how about a few "trips" checking out selected areas around metro Denver as part of your relocation exercise (and well before you make your final short-list of neighborhoods to possibly live in)?

We have done this with our last several "relocations" (which involved more than one country). The results were predictable in one case, but resulted in unexpected (but ultimately positive) results in other cases.

The combination of (1) proximity to things you want to be close to, (2) space away from locations-situations you want to avoid, and (3) availability of acceptable-to-attractive housing is, of course, dynamic. The more you give yourself an understanding of #1 and #2, and the more time you give #3 to deliver you that value-filled dream home you hope to find - the better will be your chance at finding the best place.

Hotel stays in neighborhoods, perhaps short-term apartment stays in the most promising areas, may help you to (1) settle on the best area, and (2) get familiar with several areas which might help you to better enjoy Denver long-term. Yes, that's work and expense. But maybe it's investment toward your desired answer.

6. Re: Retirement in Denver - which neighborhoods?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 06:19