We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Bonita?

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
667 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Casa Bonita?

Back when I lived in Denver in the late seventies, there was a Mexican restaurant called Casa Bonita, or something similar. I remember that the food was so so but it seemed like a fun place with stuff going on and little flags you raised at your table when you wanted wait staff to come over. Is it still in operation and if so, is it still a decent place to go or not?

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa Bonita?

I was there back in in the early-80's when i was about 12 and thought it was GREAT!! Cliff divers, raising the flag to get soapillas, etc. When I moved here, said I "HAVE" to go there, so dragged my bf about two years ago.

Well, let's say perceiving it as a child and as an adult are two completely different things. I didn't remember it be "cafeteria" style when i went there as a kid (and no the food isn't good). They still had the cliff divers and the little "caves" to explore, and children would probably still think it was cool, and it was kinda fun to look around as an adult and think how great i thought it was as a child :)

It appears they are still in operation, but is getting pretty dated, don't think they have done much updating.

http://www.casabonitadenver.com/

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa Bonita?

I went there back in November because my roomates thought it would be a fabulous place to take me for my birthday.

The food is cafateria style and absolutely TERRIBLE! I think i ordered enchiladas, but it was hard to tell because it was covered in some type of mystery cheese sauce. I will say however that their sangria is amazing!

The cliff divers are great, the mariachi band was pretty good-and the overall atmosphere is fun. It is definately more family and children oriented as there is caves to explore and different games to play.

I would go if you don't take your experience too seriously-definately don't go expecting wonderful food or service, but it is a great place to at least experience!

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Casa Bonita?

I went for my first time because my parents (late 50s, I was 27) wanted to try it out. After standing in line for awhile waiting to order (the line can get quite long), we then got seated in more of a banquet room seperated from the rest of the place where there was a kids party and a cheesy magic show. The food is horrible for adults, but kids like it (but they like paste too). My parents thought the food was good. My wife with me had been there as a child and said the same thing the others here have: It was fun as a kid but going back as an adult it's a different world.

My parents wanted to go back ("The food was good!" I guess old people like paste too?) a few months later but I didn't go with them. It's definately a place for kids, and good for kid parties too. Unless you have a kid that will enjoy it, don't go.

Arvada, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
935 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casa Bonita?

We were forced to go as well when out of town family came. We got stuck in the room with the magician too. Like everyone said, the food is horrible and in our experience, the service too. But kids do like it. And yes, old people do like paste I think - my parents love cafeteria style places. I sure hope that doesn't happen to me when I hit that age. My husband and I have made a pact to not let each other reach that point.....

Denver
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casa Bonita?

While Casa Bonita is not for everyone, it's a great value for what it is. You get a lot for $9. It's like a Rainforest Cafe or other such theme restaurant, except less expensive, less corporate, and with more entertainment.

We just had a big party there about a month ago for a bunch of adults looking to relive their childhoods (none of us had kids). The food wasn't as bad this time around - nothing to write home about, but better than fast food. I will say that enchiladas were awful - don't get them. The sopapillas were excellent and abundant, as always, and after a few initial hiccups (not unusual for a party of 20), our service was very good.

But no one goes to Casa Bonita for the food - you go 'cause it's the "Disneyland of Mexican restaurants", to quote the kids on South Park. It still has a lively and festive atmosphere, at least on a busy Saturday night. The decor is a bit outdated (30 years old), but is still fun. They had a full mariachi band that was very good, and a fun magic show. Granted, it wasn't a Vegas show, but it was plenty entertaining (especially after a couple of beers) and a lot better than many small-time magic shows I've seen.

All in all, I'd say eat dinner beforehand if you're not feeling up for a culinary gamble ('cept for kids, who seem to love the food), then go and eat a whole basket of sopapillas, drink a Corona or two, and enjoy the being a kid for an evening.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
667 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casa Bonita?

Thanks all for your input and your rememberances. I'll keep it in mind if we don't have anything better to do. For all of you old-time Denver residents, I used to work at Celebrity Sports Center, but I've heard that it's long gone. Boo hoo!

7. Re: Casa Bonita?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 17:22