We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver To Georgetown

Lexington, Kentucky
2 posts
Save Topic
Denver To Georgetown

Hi! I am visiting Denver and would like to head to Georgetown for the first scheduled train ride of the day but I need to be back in Denver by 4oclock in the afternoon. The first train is at 10:45 and takes an hour roundtrip. Is this realistic to attempt? Thanks so much for advice!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denver To Georgetown

Sure it is. You should have no problem getting there and back in time.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denver To Georgetown

I meant to add that there is construction at the twin tunnels near Idaho Springs and near Georgetown they often do rock scaling work during the week.

You may want to check this site for any travel alerts before you go: http://www.cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm

Lexington, Kentucky
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Denver To Georgetown

Thank you! We have never visited Colorado and are looking forward to it. We really want to experience an old train ride but have tickets to see the Rockies and we do not want to be late getting to the game!

Thanks for the information!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denver To Georgetown

You're welcome. If you board the train at the Devil's Gate (Georgetown) station rather than Silver Plume you will avoid any potential delays due to rock scaling work.

This is a great time of year to take the train. There are plenty of aspen along the route and they should be starting to turn soon. Have fun!

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denver To Georgetown

Just wanted to mention, not a real train ride like the Durango silverton, but ok. If you are short on time there is soo much to see in area. I would perfer driving and sightseeing over train ride.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,854 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denver To Georgetown

<<not a real train ride>>> ? Yes it is a real train...

I agree with Babalax that it is worthwhile. If you like craft beer a stop in at Tommyknockers in Idaho Springs is worth a visit.

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Denver To Georgetown

Ok, let me clarify about "not a real train", didn't mean to be a put down. does have an engine and has tracks. Just pulls open cars. Its "real", feels like kinda like an amusement ride. I also thinks its ok to do, just if short on time a lot of other great things to do. I do agree with tommy knickers:)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,854 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denver To Georgetown

<<feels like kinda like an amusement ride. >> Yeah I get that. It is more of an activity than a train trip.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Denver To Georgetown

My husband is a train enthusiast, and we did the Georgetown Loop ride in the fall, and it was a very enjoyable way to see turning aspens without one of us having to drive! Fall is wonderful for beautiful scenery.

10. Re: Denver To Georgetown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 05:18