We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10/26-10/29 in Denver: Broncos, RMNP, what else?

gaithersburg, md
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
10/26-10/29 in Denver: Broncos, RMNP, what else?

Lifelong Broncos fan from Maryland making my first game at Mile High in a couple weeks. Also very outdoorsy, trying to make the most of my trip. Here we go:

Saturday: Get to hotel near convention center around noon, 16th street mall? downtown sites to see on a saturday night?

Sunday: Redskins vs Broncos...Go Broncos!

Monday: rent car, RMNP...this is my route so far, any suggestions?

http://mapq.st/1ek3vY9

crystal creek canyon, peak to peak, bear lake, estes park, dinner in Boulder

Tuesday: fly home satisfied with a Broncos win, a great Mile High experience, and hundreds of pictures of the Rockies

Any help would be appreciated!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10/26-10/29 in Denver: Broncos, RMNP, what else?

Currently, due to flood damage in September, the route you have mapped to and from RMNP is not possible. Both highway 36 between Lyons and Estes Park and part of highway 7 from Lyons toward Estes Park are closed. Here is a scenic route to/from Estes Park that is possible. Highway 119 between Nederland and Boulder goes through impressive Boulder Canyon.

http://mapq.st/1b3PcFj

You could still take highway 6 through Clear Creek Canyon and the Central City Parkway if you wish. There is construction going on at the Twin Tunnels on I-70 and there have at times been traffic backups in that area.

Go to www.cotrip.org and you will see the flood road closures listed and shown on the road conditions map as well as Twin Tunnels construction information.

For a better overview of RMNP and to improve not only your views but your chances to see wildlife, this is the route to take through RMNP once you get to Estes Park.

http://goo.gl/maps/dzMl4

This includes Lumpy Ridge, Horseshoe Park, up to Many Parks Curve on Trail Ridge Road, Longs Peak Overlook, Bear Lake Road, and Moraine Park. Some short walks/hikes you ought to consider - along highway 7 at Lily Lake, the 1.1 mile loop Lily Ridge Trail; Bear Lake - .6 mile loop around the lake and 1.1 mile (one way distance) to Dream Lake; Sprague Lake - .5 mile loop (moose have been spotted in this area)

Edited: 14 October 2013, 03:22
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10/26-10/29 in Denver: Broncos, RMNP, what else?

Since you want to have dinner in Boulder, you need to reverse the mapquest link I gave. Here is the reverse route going through Boulder last and not first.

http://mapq.st/1gD7RM6

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
294 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10/26-10/29 in Denver: Broncos, RMNP, what else?

What kind of "sites" are you looking to see Saturday night downtown? Nightlife or actual site seeing?

gaithersburg, md
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10/26-10/29 in Denver: Broncos, RMNP, what else?

Awesome info so far! Much appreciated!

As far as Saturday, I have no clue what to do or what's downtown. I'm going to walk out of my hotel and walk around downtown. I'm looking for a buzzing area like a shopping area or touristy spot, or a scenic park, or anything Broncos that you can only get in Denver. I'd hate to walk aimlessly around a business part of town. I'm set with dinner and nightlife. Thanks again!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
294 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10/26-10/29 in Denver: Broncos, RMNP, what else?

What are your ages, what kind of nightlife do you enjoy (Club, dive bar, lounge, etc.). Food preference? Price range? There is something for EVERYONE in Denver.

gaithersburg, md
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10/26-10/29 in Denver: Broncos, RMNP, what else?

My wife and I are both 32 and we'll probably look into finding some Sports bars and microbrews, places that are friendly and social (especially since my wife will probably be wearing Redskins stuff). My buddy who went to college out there gave me some good ideas about 16th street and market/blake streets. We have no plans for tailgating on Sunday except buying some beer and walking around the lot. Good bars near the stadium or some big friendly tailgates?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,988 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10/26-10/29 in Denver: Broncos, RMNP, what else?

The stadium is one big tail gate. There is a liquor store on Federal jsut to the west of the stadium that we stop in for a 6 pack. hit a couple of the local breweries like Great Divide, River North, Strange, Mutual Friend, Denver Beer Co, Prost are fav of mine but there are many more. If the weather is nice I'd go by bike. We have a great bike share program http://denver.bcycle.com/ very fun way to get around.

more listed here

5280.com/magazine/2013/02/ultimate-guide-cra…

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
294 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10/26-10/29 in Denver: Broncos, RMNP, what else?

If you like a good selection of micros check out Falling Tap House on Blake. It seems to pack em' in. All around that Lodo neighborhood is bustling. My husband and I are upper 30's and we think Lodo can be a little Frat"ish". We like Larimer both Square(upper scale) and Five Points(Dive) area. If you like karaoke, El Charrito on Larimer is fun. For live Jazz, El Chapultec is awesome too.

IF you are on 16th and like Chipotle type food check out Illegal Pete's. It BLOWS Chipotle/Qdoba out of the water!!!

As for the game, Alli was right in that there is a liquor store just west of the stadium on Federal, but if you are staying DT you might find one down there. There is one on 16th St. My hubby and I when traveling usually hit up Walgreens for a cheap throw away soft cooler. We have season tickets and you will have fun just being down at the stadium. There is usually a party on the south side of the stadium. There is also Brooklyns if you keep walking south across the parking lot. It is a bar/grill type place. I would say you could come by our tailgate, but if the weather is bad we won't be tailgating.

9. Re: 10/26-10/29 in Denver: Broncos, RMNP, what else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 06:18