We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a Ski Resort for People that Don't Ski!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
542 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a Ski Resort for People that Don't Ski!

So, there's a mixed group planning a ski trip. Some ski, others have no desire to. I myself am one of the latter!! I love snow, love the mountains, but just about broke my neck doing it once....so I'm a no go!! I do however fancy the idea of roaring fires, cute lodges, and some sort of festive alcholic beverage!! haha. Who needs skis?!

Seriously, though....I'm looking for a resort or area that has more to offer than skiing. I've actually heard of places that have toboggan (spelling??) trails....where you can sit on you toosh and cruise down! Now, that! sounds like my kind of fun!! Just looking for a place that offers other activities, both indoors and out, with and without snow, besides just skiing....any recommendations?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
468 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a Ski Resort for People that Don't Ski!

Breckenridge has a primo sledding hill and ice skating rink.

Vail would get my highest recommendation.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
542 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a Ski Resort for People that Don't Ski!

Sledding hill.....now that's a lot easier to spell than tobaggan!! (still don't think I spelled it right!) Thanks for the tip!

Sounds great!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
875 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a Ski Resort for People that Don't Ski!

Keystone has a toboggan hill that you can pull your tube or sled up and ride down. It also has a fun center where you hold on to a teather that pulls you up the hill and you ride down. The latter is more popular with my kids because walking up the hill (at 9,000 ft. plus) is a lot of work.

There's also ice skating, cross country skiing, and plenty of roaring fires and alcholic drinks.

Colorado
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a Ski Resort for People that Don't Ski!

Stay in Breckenridge. Then your skiers can hit breck, Copper (short drive) and Keystone (short drive). If they feel like it, both Vail and Beaver Creek are within day trip distance, (about 1hr to Vail, another 15 minutes to BC).

Breckenridge has the real deal main street and town, not the faux village that most places (like Copper and Keystone) have. Plenty of things to do/see/eat/drink there.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a Ski Resort for People that Don't Ski!

.Ditto on Breckenridge or Vail for those non-skiers in the group. The atmosphere in Breckenridge is fun and there's enough to keep you busy. There's a place in Breck where they serve a wonderful white seafood pizza- can't remember the name but maybe others will know.

The town of Crested Butte was also a favorite- - you can go snowshoeing or cross- country skiing( which at least is not downhill). www.crestedbuttechamber.com

Have fun!!

Denver
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a Ski Resort for People that Don't Ski!

Breckendridge is always a good choice for variety (I used to live there, so I have a soft spot). It is definitely one of the more laid back ski towns - a very casual, ski bum community. The only downside (which goes for Keystone and Copper Mountain, too, and even Vail to a degree) is that the weekends get packed with daytrippers from Denver.

Copper Mountain has a great tubing hill, complete with conveyor belt to get you to the top (a bit pricey, however).

If I were to go to one ski town without skiing, I would probably pick Aspen. Aspen feels most like a real town to me, rather than just a ski resort. It has some of the best restaurants in the state, and it has a lot of beautiful trails through town that are clear even when there is loads of snow. If you want to get on skiis without breaking your neck, it's also a good place to try out cross-country skiing. Aspen also offers a lot of cultural activities (art galleries, music, theater, etc.) if you get cold, and, of course, there's the people watching.

Wherever you go, not to worry - you're sure to have a lot of fun!

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a Ski Resort for People that Don't Ski!

i definitely second (or third or fourth) breckenridge (and aspen too ... if you want to travel that far, and pay a bit more).

My bf is much more of a skiier than I am and although we both have season passes to breckenridge, vail, keystone, and beaver creek, I always want to go to breckenridge because I quit earlier than he does. I can always entertain myself for the few extra hours he spends on the slope sunning, shopping, or having a couple beers.

plus as others have mentioned there are other winter activities there.

8. Re: Looking for a Ski Resort for People that Don't Ski!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 07:20