We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic from Summit County to Denver on a Sunday afternoon?

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic from Summit County to Denver on a Sunday afternoon?

After skiing in Summit County on a Sunday in March, this upcoming Sunday in fact, what might the traffic be like heading back down to Denver? Any suggestion to avoid, or what time to depart to miss the traffic, or what time to wait leave to miss the crowds. What can we expect, what is recommended? Thanks. Just trying to get a heads up in advance. Fortunately, we don't have a flight to catch, but don't want to be stuck in traffic 4 hrs. either.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic from Summit County to Denver on a Sunday afternoon?

You may be interested in info I posted in a forum called "How to beat I-70 Sunday commute to Denver."

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k71354…

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic from Summit County to Denver on a Sunday afternoon?

If you don't have a plane to catch then ski till closing if conditions are good other wise you might need to leave no later than 1 to avoid what could be a much longer trip. Some Sunday's are worse than others. Can't say what yours might be. The other option is to stay and have dinner then head back.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,612 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic from Summit County to Denver on a Sunday afternoon?

It's hit or miss.

CDOT advises heaviest travel is between 1-7 pm.

They have a promotion going called "Change your Peak Time" https://www.facebook.com/ChangeYourPeakTime

Check this site for more info and deals: http://goi70.com/

We drove back from Copper on Sunday the 9th at 4:30 with only a 5 min. slow down at the US 40 entrance. We had planned to stay later but we checked cotrip.org for travel speeds at 4 pm and the roads were clear. It was a sunny dry day. If there is snow/winter conditions, you will most likely have delays.

There is a free mobile app https://m.urhub.com/i/CDOT

edit: sorry for the repeat info - I was looking for links when SusieLou posted :)

Edited: 17 March 2014, 17:58
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic from Summit County to Denver on a Sunday afternoon?

SusieLou, great post on the innovative plans to help with peak travel time congestion.

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic from Summit County to Denver on a Sunday afternoon?

We drove up to Frisco yesterday (Sunday, March 16) arriving around 7:30pm, and commented on the way up about the lack of traffic that was heading downhill. There were no traffic jams, and the traffic seemed unusually light for a Sunday.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,352 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic from Summit County to Denver on a Sunday afternoon?

Last time I drove home on a Sunday I left at 4:00. It was great. At 12:00 the radio had 3 hour drive times. I think the plan to keep folks off the highway at peak times is working. Made it home in less than 1.5.

7. Re: Traffic from Summit County to Denver on a Sunday afternoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 05:16