We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with planning a short trip this weekend!

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
67 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with planning a short trip this weekend!

We are coming in on Sunday early morning staying two nights but last day we don't leave till 7:00 pm. I've made reservations at Hampton inn and suites at the airport. This was a last minute trip for my husband and I without kids. So just wondering what I should hit and if this hotel is worth staying at. We'll have a rental car so didn't want to spend a lot on parking. I do want to go to Mount Evans probably on Monday. Any suggestion of activities would be great!!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,008 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with planning a short trip this weekend!

Just so you know, you can't drive to the summit of Mt. Evans now. The road is closed until Memorial Day weekend. But it is still worth the beautiful drive to Echo Lake.

Michigan
Level Contributor
67 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with planning a short trip this weekend!

Thanks I didn't realize that so the drive to Echo Lake is through the mountains I would guess? Sorry I haven't had a lot of time for research. Can you suggest any other natural things to see not to far from Denver? Is it worth the drive to the Rocky Mountain National Park when we don't have a lot of time to see a lot?

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,842 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with planning a short trip this weekend!

Yes, it is very much worth the drive to RMNP. Here is your scenic route up Golden Gate Canyon Road to the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway to Estes Park. The return trip is through very colorful and pretty South St. Vrain Canyon along highway 7 to Lyons.

http://goo.gl/maps/lBq6y

From Estes Park, here is your scenic driving tour of RMNP.

http://goo.gl/maps/ClQ1O

The short less than a mile walks at Lily Lake and Sprague Lake should be doable this weekend without traction devices. This is a great time to see elk, deer and big horn sheep and maybe a moose or bear.

Avoid the E-470 toll road around DIA or you will be charged the toll plus a daily surcharge for your rental car.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 16:30
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,842 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with planning a short trip this weekend!

Spring is also a great time to visit the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge which is I am guessing about 20 minutes from your hotel.

fws.gov/refuge/…plan_your_visit.html

Michigan
Level Contributor
67 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with planning a short trip this weekend!

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it a lot.

Michigan
Level Contributor
67 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with planning a short trip this weekend!

Do you think my hotel is in a good location? I'm thinking the first day we'll go see downtown Denver, look at capital and other things I haven't research yet. The second day a nature day so possibly the RMNP. Third day I have no idea yet. The hotel has great reviews just don't know if there would be a better choice to stay at that isn't too expensive.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,842 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with planning a short trip this weekend!

You might want to see this topic regarding where to stay in Denver.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33388-i253-k74088…

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with planning a short trip this weekend!

The airport is in the middle of nowhere. For a no kids weekend stay downtown. The link that Babalax gave you has good information.

If you want to go to RMNP consider staying in Boulder, or a good hotel between Denver and Boulder is the Omni http://tinyurl.com/nyoy5cx

If you do not want to stay downtown http://www.hgicherrycreek.com/ is in a central location easy to Cherry Creek proper, note LOTS of hotels claim Cherry Creek but they are in the area not IN Cherry Creek proper. Not far from Downtown.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with planning a short trip this weekend!

oops meant the link that fv1989 gave you....

10. Re: Need help with planning a short trip this weekend!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 06:15