We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 days in Denver

Sloveina, EU
4 posts
Save Topic
14 days in Denver

Hello!

My and my boyfriend will go in Denver on October for 14 days.

What you recomende to see and where to go? Probably we will go from Dnever to Las Vegas.

Thans in advanse for all your help!

Regards from Slovenia, EU

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 days in Denver

Hi Sonce -- If you need to go from Denver to Las Vegas quickly, you can go on the Interstate (autobahn) the entire way. It is 720 miles (about 1200 kilometers) and a good road. And you could spend most of your time in Denver and Las Vegas. But if you go that way, you will miss much of the beautiful country that is in that part of the U.S.

Instead, take the opportunity to explore Colorado, perhaps the prettiest state in the U.S., and then head west into Utah, Arizona and finally to Las Vegas.

I'd start with a day or two in Denver to get over jet lag, acclimate yourself to the altitude (5000 feet above sea level) and to enjoy the nightlife at some of the local brewpubs. Then north to Rocky Mountain National Park, then head west and south, possibly to Aspen, and then down to Silverton and Durango (in Southwest Colorado), and then to Mesa Verde National Park in the southwest corner of Colorado, over to Monument Valley in southern Utah, down to the Grand Canyon, and then up to Las Vegas.

That is a lot of driving. If it seems like too much, you could skip Rocky Mountain National Park and Aspen, but both are special in their own way.

October in Colorado is a beautiful month, but also a changeable month. If you are there early in the month, the leaves on the trees will be changing and you'll see beautiful colors. But you'll probably also see snow, especially in the high mountains. You may need to be flexible on your route since you will be driving over several mountain passes and the road could be temporarily closed by snow. So bring some sweaters, but also expect some daytime temperatures to be warm and sunny.

You should have a wonderful trip! Look forward to seeing mountains as dramatic as your Julian Alps, plus desert, ancient ruins, indian dwellings, canyons, and other wonderful things.

If you have any specific interests, or want more information about any place that I mentioned, post another question.

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 days in Denver

I think Rocky Mountain National Park would be worth your time. Estes Park is a cute little town at the entrance to the park and is great for strolling and shopping. Sometimes I like just sitting on the bench and looking at the scenery. In October the Elk are very active in Estes Park and are often right down in town. October is a beautiful time to be in Colorado. The trees, hopefully, will still have their fall foilage, the air is crisp and temps are cool. And it is low season so the rates are cheaper and it is less crowded.

As you head west I would recommend a stop in Glenwood Springs. Relax in the Hot Springs pool and stroll the trail along the Colorado River or visit the Glenwood Caverns. From there you could go to Aspen which is only an hour south from Glenwood. Aspen is another great place to stroll. Many of the restaurants there offer specials during the low season. From there I would go to Ouray, Telluride, Silverton and Durango. The scenery in this area is so wonderful and worth the trip. As the previous post said, it it a lot of driving, but you get to see so much in that drive.

Two things to keep in mind. Some visitors can experience something called altitude sickness. It is basically dehydration. We have a very dry climate and that combined with the frequent and sudden changes in altitude can cause headache, dizziness and nausea. Drink plenty of water. I always go with the 8 glasses a day rule and more is better. Avoid alchohol, at least your first few days. Rest when you are tired. The other thing is, the route I suggested involves driving on somewhat narrow, curved roads. The roads are well maintained, but if you have a fear of heights or don't like winding roads, sometimes without guard rails, perhaps you might want to leave off the Ouray, Telluride, Silverton and Durango part of the trip.

Enjoy your trip!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 days in Denver

Sonce,

Rocky Mountain National Park is definitely worth a day or two even. It has beautiful hiking and is thick with Elk and other wildlife. Evenings in the mountains will be quite chilly, and day temps could be widely varied. There will be ski resorts open by then, if you choose. The trees will likely have changed colors already. Vail and Breckinridge are apx 1.5 hours west, and would make a nice day trip even if you're not skiing.

Denver has concerts, theater, shopping, nightclubs and other activities like any major city. What are your specific interests? Two weeks is enough time to see the city fairly well, including several day trips.

I would fly to Las Vegas from here, unless you really enjoy car rides. There are very cheap flights between cities - look at www.Frontier.com as one airline example. If you do drive, then the Mesa Verde area is supposed to be phenomenal, although I haven't been there.

SF Calif, East Bay
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 days in Denver

I'm also researching a trip and found this:

You can check out the Rocky Mountain National Park at http://www.nps.gov/romo/ for details. Also note the link "Plan your visit" on the right side of the page.

cheers

5. Re: 14 days in Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 16:18