We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay early Sept around or in Denver

SF Calif, East Bay
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay early Sept around or in Denver

We (2 adults) are arriving in Denver 9/3 and will have a couple of days free to be tourists before attending to some business there. I know there's a big event downtown that weekend. Also can't decide from all the postings here if LoDo area is OK, or not. There are also some mixed B&B reviews - is the area safe and nice at night? Or is someplace like Lakewood close enough to use as a 'home base'?

Want to see the Robert Wick sculptures at the Botanical gardens, and other than that have no pre-set agenda. Will have time at end of our trip to get out of town too.

Any help with hotels in the area would be appreciated.

Denver
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay early Sept around or in Denver

I believe you downtown event is the Taste of Colorado --this is a daytime festival in Civic Center park, lots of restaurants open up booths, carnival rides, crafts, etc. Certainly worth checking out if you are in town.

LoDo is more than OK as a central base for exploring downtown Denver. On any given evening there are hundreds of people out and about in downtown and safety is not really a concern. You would be a short cab ride from the Botanic gardens and the Cherry Creek area but you could walk to lots of restaurants, the capital, the mint, the baseball stadium, or any other Denver location. Be aware there is a free shuttle up and down 16th street if you are trying to get from one side of down town to the other.

As for hotel recommendations what is your price range? I think my favorite boutique hotels down town are the Magnolia and the Oxford, but there are a variety of different hotels with different price ranges.

I hope this helps you a bit. Oh and in regard to Lakewood, you will be driving any and everywhere if you stay there. I am sure you could find a nice hotel but it would not be nearly as convenient to touring Denver.

SF Calif, East Bay
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay early Sept around or in Denver

Thank you.

as far as price range, between 135 to $150 would be nice, if possible.

how is the area around the Bed & Breakfast places on 1430 Race Street?

thanks again.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay early Sept around or in Denver

Ditto on Magnolia. I had booked for that weekend and got a pretty good rate. I'm cancelling my reservation, but only because I'm staying with friends. Otherwise, it is a nice central location. Also try the Downtown Marriott- it gets very nice reviews and it is also very centrally located downtown. Other choices include Hotel Monaco and the Adam's Mark.

Have fun!!!

SF Calif, East Bay
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay early Sept around or in Denver

Thanks everyone.

Also was interested in the Golden Hotel in Golden, as we may need to be in that area.

anyone stayed there recently?

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay early Sept around or in Denver

If you do decide to spend time in Golden, I suggest the Table Mountain Inn over the Golden Hotel.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay early Sept around or in Denver

I'll second the Table Mountain Inn in Golden. You're out of the "busyness" of downtown and into a bit of "old west" quaintness. Not much to do in Golden, but you're not far away from downtown.

SF Calif, East Bay
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay early Sept around or in Denver

Thank you again!

It's a bit frustrating to read all these reviews because even if some people say they loved it, there's always a few who say they would never recommend it. What's an indecisive gal to do? LOL

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay early Sept around or in Denver

You'll enjoy the Botanic Gardens exhibit. The location( on York) is also very central- if you continue down( south) York, it becomes University- then you make a left onto 3rd, 2nd or 1st Ave - you will hit the Cherry Creek North area in less than 10 minutes. There, you will find shops, restaurants and Cherry Creek mall. Restaurants in the area include:

North, Cherry Creek Grill, Campo de Fiore, Cucina Colore- among many others. It's a great area.

If you go north from the Botanic Gardens, you will find City Park, The Zoo and the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.

Have fun

9. Re: Where to stay early Sept around or in Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 08:16