We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at Hotels

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ROCKY MTN HIGH
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at Hotels

Hi everyone, I have a delima that is just starting to bother me. I have always left tips for hotel cleaning personnel, for taking care of the room and assuming that they need the extra money. I tip extra for anything bought to the room, and for special items I request from the maids, like extra towels, etc. my QUESTION is, what does everyone else do? How much of a tip should one leave at Hotels? Do the Luxery Hotels pay the staff better, so they do need as much? I find that THESE are the people that stand at the door and wait for thier tip, while at the smaller hotels, the servers bring your items and leave, I have to stop them to give the tip. Most people have told me they never leave tips at hotels, and I found this rather rude. My last trip I did not leave a tip for the 1 night I spent, but did tip for the extra pillows. I felt guilty about it, but the room was not that great, and I would like for these Hotels to just pay the staff better wages so they don;t have to depend on tips to survive! what do the rest of you think?

Denver
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at Hotels

Hi Trainfreak,

I usually leave around $2 -$5, maybe more for a stay of more than a couple of days. I'm never sure if the person who cleaned my room in the past will be cleaning it on the day that I leave the tip. If I knew for sure, I might leave more for a good employee. I do not leave more at a luxury hotel.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at Hotels

I agree with the $2-5/day regardless of hotel type. If I passed on the tip it wouldn't be because the room was not that great (assuming it was because the hotel itself just wasn't to my taste) but I would pass on the tip if the room wasn't that great in regard to careless housekeeping.

Luxury hotels may pay their staff more and offer better benefits as that allows them to hire more dependable and trustworthy crew by being a more desirable employer. Nevertheless, it's still barely a living wage and the tips are a necessary part of their income.

Sure, it would be great if all service industry people received better pay, but you know what will likely happen...it will just be transferred back to you in the form of higher room rates, food costs, or mandatory "service fees." Is it just greed on the part of the hotelier and they actually could afford to pay higher wages without rate increases? Maybe so, maybe not, but I bet we'd end up paying for it in the end.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at Hotels

I'd recommend you tip your housekeeping staff, and anybody else that you feel does a good job for you. Having worked in the hotel business for years, I can tell you that it is a big challenge to find good people because the wages are so low, and they can use every penny that you can spare. If you're ever curious, take a couple of minutes and talk to your hotel staff the next time you stay. You'd be amazed at the stories that they will tell you and the struggles that they go through on a daily basis to put food on the table.

Be generous. Regardless of the hotel. Think about working for 37.5 hours a week for just a little over minimum wage, and then think about what you can afford.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at Hotels

I always leave a tip in the room, usually a couple of dollars for every night I am there. I don't distinguish between luxury and less expensive hotels. Even though employees at larger chains and luxury hotels may get higher pay and probably have access to some benefits that others don't, they also have to put up with the snooty attitudes of some of the wealthiest travelers and that probably doesn't balance out the extra money they make.

5. Re: Tipping at Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 17:18