We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

activities for kids in December?

san diego
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
activities for kids in December?

We're considering a trip to Denver between Christmas and New Year's, with our two boys, 5 & 8. Can anyone suggest some activities they might enjoy there? Or anywhere else in Colorado? (We'll be driving up from New Mexico.)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: activities for kids in December?

Here are some options:

Dave and Buster's on Colorado Blvd and I-25- www.daveandbusters.com

Denver's Zoo Wildlights- www.denverzoo.org

The Denver Museum of Nature and Science- www.dmns.org

The Denver Mint

A visit to the Colorado State Capitol

The Colorado History Museum

Colorado is a great sports town- you may want to look at the schedule for events at the Pepsi Center- www.pepsicenter.com

A visit to Estes Park www.estes-park.com

Some places to eat:

ESPN Zone- downtown

The Cheescake Factory- downtown

Maggiano's Little Italy- downtown

Cherry Creek Grill- Cherry Creek North

California Pizza Kitchen- Cherry Creek Mall

Hope this helps out!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: activities for kids in December?

I forgot- if the kids like to ice-skate you can go to the outdoor ice- skating rink on 2nd anf Fillmore( Cherry Creek North)- it is usually set up around that month. Go to www.cherrycreeknorth.com

If you want other winter activities- you can visit Keystone , Winter Park or Breckenridge

san diego
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: activities for kids in December?

Thank you so much! Can you recommend a hotel anywhere in Denver that has an indoor pool? (major kid activity!)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: activities for kids in December?

I believe the Hampton Inn and Suites Denver Downtown( 18th and Sherman) has an indoor pool- you can see reviews on the TA search box.- call to make sure.

Go to www.denverdowntownsuites.hamptoninn.com

The Adam's Mark Hotel( also downtown) has an outdoor heated pool.

There's also the Hyatt Regency downtown- look like this has an indoor pool.

I don't know if the Marriott Downtown( 17th and California) has an indoor pool but it's a nice hotel- so it's worth asking.

Hope this helps.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: activities for kids in December?

amayazhi,

Just to clarify- I meant the Courtyard by Marriott- Downtown Denver

I don't know if it has an indoor pool but it's right on 16th Pedestrian St. Mall- very convenient to a lot of activities- especially around Christmas time.

It looks like the pool at the Hyatt Regency is a lap pool.

san diego
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: activities for kids in December?

Thank you!!!!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: activities for kids in December?

We visited Denver recently and spent a rainy day at Fat City near Littleton- it was a great indoor playplace. Check out fatcityinfo.com. My kids also loved Casa Bonita.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: activities for kids in December?

Just some quick notes--

If you want to skate and want something a little more outdoorsy than downtown, I think they have skating up at Evergreen Lake House...a lodge-like building in Evergreen...it would get you up in the mountains a little bit and it's not too far...

I have never been to Casa Bonita when the kids weren't having a blast--for adults it's super-cheesy and their food is just awful, but the kids LOVE it. It's worth it for their sakes...

On the way up from NM, the Great Sand Dunes National Monument is very cool...we went late summer, so I'm not sure about the dead of winter, but it's amazing to see the dunes in the middle of the mountains. If it's covered w/snow, it might not be so amazing (you don't see the sand), but I'd guess if you called the park service they could tell you what's open at that time...and if the stop would be a good match for your clan...a nice diversion in the midst of a bunch of driving...

That's my 3 cents! :)

denver
Level Contributor
218 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: activities for kids in December?

What about some skiing? Our son loved going up to Copper mountain and learning to ski at a ski school for the day. If weather cooperates, then a couple hours drive into the mountains for some skiing might be an option.

If you do want to try that, I would recommend reservations in advance, as that week is peak skiing season, and school fill up fast. Copper Mountain, Breckenridge, Vail, Winterpark, all have ski schools. Our son loved his time in Copper mountain, which is the only school we've tried so far. One can rent all the gear at the ski school.

Hope you have a great time in Denver!

Lakewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: activities for kids in December?

There is a GREAT indoor pool at a Rec Center called The Link in Lakewood. The water is kept really warm, it has a pirate ship, beach entry and a larger slide for older kids too. It's great fun! Check it out at:

www.lakewood.org

www.lakewood.org/index.cfm…

It's also really close to Bel Mar which is the new downtown area in Lakewood that has great shopping, restaurants, movies, etc.

www.belmarcolorado.com

Bel Mar also has bowling and other indoor activities your boys might enjoy. It's easily accessible from downtown via Highway 6.

Have a great trip!