We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about the safety of an area

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Question about the safety of an area

Ok, so this isn't travel related but I have some questions.

My daughter is thinking about attending Johnson and Wales University in Denver. They are located at 7150 Mountainview Blvd, which is on Mountainview and Quebec.

I looked at the map and saw that Mountainview in one street up from Colfax.

Now, I grew up in Denver, and I do NOT remember the Colfax area fondly at all. I got into a lot of trouble around that area. More so, Colfax and Pearl and Colfax and Odgen area.

Now, I loved from CO in 1995 and when I was hanging around downtown and getting into trouble, that was nore in the mid 80s.

So, my question in, what is that area like now. I cannot tell exactly how close Quebec and Mountainview is to that area.

My daughter will be living on campus for a few years. I just want to know about the safety of the area now.

Any help and/or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Oh - and by the way - it is only that area that brings back bad memories for me. In general, I still LOVE Colorado and want nothing more than to move back their one day. So, I am NOT putting CO down at all, so please don't take it like that.

Thank you :)

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
640 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about the safety of an area

Just to help others reply, the school is on Montview Blvd (not Mountainview, which I'd never heard of), just west of Quebec. Due east of City Park.

Since I haven't been in that neighborhood in many years (moved away from Denver a while back), I'll defer to others to talk about the area. However, my memory of the area is that it fluctuated over time from run-down to renovated by yuppie-types. I don't know where things have gone from there in more recent years.

Denver
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about the safety of an area

That area is actually in the middle of revitalization. To the east you have the Stapleton developments - where they built a bunch of new homes and stores on the old airport site - very yuppie-ville. To the west you have park hill and the city park neighborhood, both of which have those 'mansions' from back when.

In all, it's not a bad neighborhood at all. The street is actually Montview, not Mountainview.

It's pretty far from the section of Colofax you are thinking about. That area isn't AS bad as it used to be, [I live on 9th and Sherman].

The only sketchy area is by Colfax and Penn, and East Colfax, past Monaco, in Aurora.

She should be fine.

Here's a site that talks about all the different infil/revitalization projects in the Downtown area. It has changed a lot.

http://www.denverinfill.com/blog/index.html

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about the safety of an area

I used to live about a mile away from J&W and travel frequently in the area - it's safe and fine! It's a beautiful campus, recently renovated after Denver University Law School moved from the area. It adjoins the Parkhill neighborhood, considered pretty upscale, and it is five blocks from Colfax (Montview = 20th Ave, Colfax = 15th). This area of Colfax is very non-threatening as well. I also worked for a hotel management company which is a big contributor to the school and know that J&W's reputation is huge in the hospitality industry. Come visit and decide for yourself, but If your daughter has the chance and the interest in this business, she would get a great start to her career by attending J&W!

Denver, Co.
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about the safety of an area

I teach nearby and it is fine. Like everyone everywhere, she needs to be cautious. Campus areas tend to draw crime, even at CU or DU./

But J&W is in part of the Stapeleton redevelopment area and quite nice.

5. Re: Question about the safety of an area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 09:23