We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we go to Durango?

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Should we go to Durango?

Hi! My husband, my 3 month old and I are going to be traveling from Moab to Pagosa Springs in mid-Oct. We are trying to decide if we should stop for one night in Durango or Silverton or Ouray. Taking the train will not be an option for us. Just wondering what others think we would enjoy (looking for a cute town, cozy, good restaurants, nice views, easy , short hikes, pretty drives)...

Thanks!

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we go to Durango?

If you are going to be in Pagosa Springs already, I would recommend a night in Ouray too. You can always visit Durango on the way to Ouray - it is only an hour from Pagosa.

Ouray is wonderful and worth a visit, cozy with great views - and the drive from Durango to Ouray is gorgeous.

October is hunting season - so just be sure to wear blaze orange on the trails.

Enjoy your visit!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we go to Durango?

Durango, Silverton and Ouray all have something to offer. Ouray is definitely the most scenic town. Awesome waterfalls. Ouray is definitely worth a stop along your way. Silverton is an old mining town. Durango has a little more of a downtown, nice hiking, microbreweries and shops. So it all depends upon what you are after. You can drive back to Durango from Pagosa (about an hour each way). There is nice hiking around the Pagosa area as well, but you will have to do some driving out to the trailheads.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we go to Durango?

I'd vote for Ouray or Silverton for cute town with amazing views and short hikes. Just walking around either town is super! Durango is a nice small city but you can visit there on your way to Pagosa and easily drive back if you decide you want to spend more time.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we go to Durango?

You DEFINITELY want to drive US550 south from Montrose through Ridgway, Ouray, Silverton, and into Durango. Colorado has so many gorgeous areas, but IMHO after years of traveling throughout Colorado, the "Million Dollar Highway" (US550) is the best of the best!

Both Ouray and Silverton are former "Old West" mining towns, but Ouray is a little less "touristy" since Silverton has the huge ridership on the narrow-gauge railword. You'd want to spend at least 3-4 hours in each, and Durango has many good restaurants. I would vote for an overnight in Ouray...and enjoy it's environs. Then the following day you can take in Silverton, and Durango, before continuing on to Pagosa Springs. You would also be in Silverton before the first train arrives.

I traveled Moab to Grand Junction, and south to Durango a couple of years ago, and I'd recommend you take the UT-128 highway along the Colorado River east from Moab, and up to I-70. Wildly scenic, and lightly traveled. Enjoy your trip!

5. Re: Should we go to Durango?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2010, 05:21