We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durango-Silverton steam train

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
7 posts
Save Topic
Durango-Silverton steam train

Coming to Durango next week, Is the steam train likely to be very busy, do we need to book in advance, or are there better offers to be purchased locally. Still not sure whether we want to sit in side or outside...!

Lake Cumberland, KY
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Durango-Silverton steam train

The website for the train is www.durangotrain.com. It has a lot of info regarding tickets, times, etc.

I would say that it probably won't be crowded (especially if you're going on a weekday. But if you have your heart set on riding the train, I would make a reservation. There is info in the 'book now' section of the website about changing reservations.

If you want to get good pictures of the train and locomotive during the ride, I recommend asking for a car toward the rear of the train. As the tracks wind around the curves you can see the other cars and the locomotive stretched out in front of you. Also, it doesn't matter which side of the aisle you sit on because you're on the opposite side on the return trip.

I'm not absolutely positive, but I don't think anyone else sells tickets for the train. Unless there's a local hotel that has a package that includes hotel stay and tickets.

My Mom and I stayed at a Holiday Inn a few blocks from the depot and just walked from our hotel to the depot. Here are some pictures from when we rode the train last May 14th. harley.smugmug.com/gallery/555411/1/23086979 The train pictures start on the second page and go through the third page.

Check the weather at www.weather.com for both Durango and Silverton. After you scroll down a bit, you will see the 36-hour forecast. Towards the bottom of that section you can click on '10-day' to get the ten-day forecast (always remembering that the forecast is more likely to change at the far end of the forecast). If you want to see the temperature in Celsius, scroll down a bit further and there will be a place on the screen where you can click on 'metric units' to show the page in Celsius.

I think it might be too cold for the open-air car (and I like cold weather). However, you can always walk to one of the open air cars and take pictures or hang out for a while.

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
638 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durango-Silverton steam train

Recommendation: Take the train one-way only, then take the bus option for the return (or vice versa). If taking the train from Durango to Silverton, you'll want seats on the right side of the train for the best views; if taking the train in the direction from Silverton to Durango, sit on the left.

However, if the train isn't very crowded, it won't really matter all that much -- people tend to move around a bit, and are usually quite willing to let you come look out "their" window for a short time, especially after the first hour!

I also imagine the temperatures COULD be a bit chilly for an outdoor car this time of year (it was quite brisk when we rode the train almost exactly a year ago today). Better to request an enclosed car, and go visit the outdoor car for a while.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Durango-Silverton steam train

WingLady is absolutely correct. You will see some of the prettiest scenery you may ever experience. It is absolutely gorgeous. The neat thing about riding one way and coming back on the bus is that you not only get to see the bottom of the canyon and the river, but on the way back you get to see the tops of everything. I have been on the train twice and actually thought it was even better the second time. Have fun and take a lot of film or a digital camera.