We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durango Train Car?

Level Contributor
247 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Durango Train Car?

We are going to take the train up and bus back, first week in August. We would like either one of the first class or presidential cars. I have looked over the seating and not sure which would be best. I am concerned about the silver car b/c it is open. Any other suggestions to avoid or which side and seating is the best for enjoying the ride?

Level Contributor
1,829 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durango Train Car?

I suggest phoning the toll-free #. We're taking the train later this summer and taking one of the cars up and the other back--this arrangement is called a "combo" and wasn't on the website when I reserved (but I knew about it from their brochure). The reservationist told me that not every car is on every train. I reserved not long after they started taking '10 reservations and already we had limited choices of seats--for August, you might want to go ahead and call.

Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,874 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durango Train Car?

Haven't ridden in those cars so am not familiar with them.

When we rode last time in the open gondola, it rained part of the trip back. We got a few sprinkles on us but not bad...it was a little chilly but the roof blocked most of the rain. We were over halfway toward the back of the train and had no problem with cinders.

Both sides have scenic views, but if taking the train up and bus back, most people prefer the right side of the train which is the "river" side a good bit of the way.

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
673 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Durango Train Car?

Thunderstorms are pretty common in August, and the temperatures can drop rather dramatically for a period of time, so I would recommend a closed car, and seats on the right side for the best views. The first time we took the train we were in the open car, and it did rain for about 1/2 hour -- and we were COLD! Then the sun came back out and it warmed back up and all was well again.

If you have seats in a closed car, you can still walk to an open car and enjoy the fresh air and views for a little while.

4. Re: Durango Train Car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 07:16