We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

skiing in Christmas season?

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atherton, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
skiing in Christmas season?

We are an Australian family of 4 doing a hire-car road trip mid Dec. in SW USA for a month and I can't seem to get us to Durango for skiing any earlier than about Dec 22 or 23. We would have liked to have done about 4 days skiing at Durango Mountain. Is there somewhere affordable to stay nearby, eg along the highway, to avoid the long daily trip from Durango? How much are accommodation and skiing prices likely to escalate over the Christmas period? Is hire of skis etc available and affordable on the mountain, or if only from Durango, how do we get to and from the mountain with skis (won't fit in our family hire car)? Will the mountain even be open for skiing on Christmas Day etc?

Many thanks for any advice,

Michelle

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
412 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: skiing in Christmas season?

Durango Mountain Resort will definitely be open on Christmas day. There aren't many lodging options between Durango and DMR - mostly private homes in the area. The week of Christmas will be busy at the resort and lodging prices are going to be a little higher for the holidays.

Book lodging soon - I know Pagosa Springs is usually booked during the week between Christmas and New Years, so I would assume the same for Durango.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: skiing in Christmas season?

Why not stay at the resort? Lots of choices though they may be pretty booked up during Christmas. There are several places at the mountain to rent ski equipment so no need to lug gear back and forth if you do decide to stay in Durango.

Atherton, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: skiing in Christmas season?

Thanks. I was lucky enough to get in at Silverpick Lodge!! and Cliffside Ski Hire! Looking forward to it.

SW Colorado
Level Contributor
63 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: skiing in Christmas season?

What they said is good advice, if you end up in town you can take the ski shuttle from the transit center but it costs money to take the shuttle and you are stuck at the mountain until it returns to town. Also, some advice, use the term Rental instead of hire, like we say elevator instead of lift, etc...

5. Re: skiing in Christmas season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2012, 10:16