We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safest/Easiest Route from Four Corners to Denver?

Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safest/Easiest Route from Four Corners to Denver?

I'm planning a trip for the end of May 2012 and will be driving with 2 rugrats (8yo and 11yo). I've read that the area around Durango can have unpredictable weather even in May-June so I was wondering what would be the safest/easiest route from Four Corners to Denver.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
517 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safest/Easiest Route from Four Corners to Denver?

You should be fine in May regarding road conditions. That's not to say you won't experience a storm, but odds are good the roads will be fine. I forgot the route I took from there, but it included a stop at the Sand Dunes which are a great stop. From there, head to Pueblo, then I-25 up to Denver.

SW Colorado
Level Contributor
63 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safest/Easiest Route from Four Corners to Denver?

Easiest fastest and most scenic route Durango to Denver is to take 160 west to Del Norte, take a left on HW 112 to the intersection of 112 and 285, turn left on 285, then stay on route 285 to Denver . This takes about 6 hours. If the weather is bad, you can take I-25, but you still have to drive over Wolf Creek pass either way and I-25 takes 7+ hours to go that route. I would not recommend any other way to get to Denver, the rest are very long and windy roads.. There is always a chance for severe winter weather in May, but that time of year the roads clear up very quickly. Watch out of colrado State Parol, they are everywhere all the time, usually sitting on the edges of small towns where the speed limits change.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safest/Easiest Route from Four Corners to Denver?

Just one correction to jajeebee above.....if you are in Durango going to Denver you would take route 160 East, not west to Del Norte. :) The rest of the directions above are the way I have traveled many times....once over Wolf Creek usually safe. If the weather is bad take 160 all the way to 25 and then north to Denver....it's much longer but usually safer.

Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,854 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safest/Easiest Route from Four Corners to Denver?

You could also go through Moab to see Arches National Park and then to Interstate 70 to Grand Junction and on to Denver. That would route you around any mountain passes in the event of bad weather...but really bad weather is unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely.

My favorite route would be from Cortez to Dolores past Telluride to Ridgway, then to Montrose to see the Black Canyon, then to Denver. From Montrose,there are a few different routes you could take, but the quickest would be to Grand Junction/Clifton to Interstate 70.

Merced, California
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Safest/Easiest Route from Four Corners to Denver?

I'm moving to Denver, and driving into Colorado through the Four Corners.I have a couple of questions concerning the recommended 160/112/185 route. How much mountain driving is involved? I've been taking a look at some maps, but nothing can replace actual experience. Also, does anyone know if Colorado State Patrol targets out of state license plates? Not that it really matters, since I plan to drive safely, but I just want to know what to expect.

6. Re: Safest/Easiest Route from Four Corners to Denver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:17