We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Train ride Scenery

St-lambert
Level Contributor
942 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
The Train ride Scenery

Hello

Plan to be in Durango two nights/one day in June. Was looking at some video of the Durango-Silverton train, what are the scenery during the ride, do you see mountain top, or you just follow the river ?

If not taking the train, any daily roadtrip to enjoy scenic view by car ?

Merci

Sylvain

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,731 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Train ride Scenery

no idea on the train-- we opted to drive the San Juan skyway instead. From Durango to Ouray. Follows the tops of the mountains, so to speak-- beautiful drive!

Depending on where you are headed next? We drove to Ouray, then over to Mesa Verde for our next stop.

2nd trip, we stayed in Montrose for the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, then down the San Juan skyway to Durango, then over to Bluff, Utah. Just saying-- you can include that drive towards your next stop.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
153 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Train ride Scenery

There's an auto road which goes in parallel to that rail road too, meaning your scenery would be pretty much the same - beautiful mountains and rock around you.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,164 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Train ride Scenery

From someone who has both driven highway 550 (part of the San Juan Skyway Scenic Byway) between Durango and Silverton and ridden the train, let me assure you it is NOT the same!

Here is the same question on another post.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33646-i8212-k3695…

I do suggest you take the train to Silverton and the bus back to Durango. Taking the train as a round trip gets long. Sit on the right hand side.

If you do not take the train, drive highway 550 all the way to Ouray.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g33397-c127395/Durang…

This link gives you information on the drive.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,676 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Train ride Scenery

I have also driven the road and taken the train, and I agree with fv--the scenery is not the same as what you see from the highway for most of the trip. For the very best use of time, I often recommend the train/jeep tour combination package. durangotrain.com/packages/…trails-and-rails

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Train ride Scenery

The train goes up the Animas River valley - between the mountains. You see plenty of mountain tops, along with waterfalls (depending on time of year and snow melt). You will ride along a cliff edge above the Animas River. You will not see scenery like it driving up route 550.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Train ride Scenery

IMO, the roaring rapids of the river make the train ride a must-do in and of themselves. The scenery from the road (which is higher) is very different than the scenery when you're down in the gorge on the train, as several others have said. The drive is worth doing as well--two totally different experiences!

7. Re: The Train ride Scenery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Durango
Recent Conversations