We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wondering if we should reschedule?

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wondering if we should reschedule?

Hello, we are traveling to Durango and Colorado Springs in a week and a half. I'm worried about the fires affecting our plans. I know Pikes Peak is closed and was wondering about Durango. We are thinking about coming in September instead. Also, my father is coming with us and has asthma. He's worried about the air.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wondering if we should reschedule?

Has your father visited with his doctor concerning all of this? That would, imho, be the best and first place to start. Here is a link to the state's air quality website, however, it cannot predict into next week and beyond.

http://apcd.state.co.us/colorado_summary.aspx

And another from the American Lung Association concerning forest fire smoke and those with health problems.

lung.org/healthy-air/outdoor/protecting-your…

We wish we could tell you that by Sept. all of the fires will be over and done with but it's going to be a long, hot and dry summer according to the weather folks so there may not be any relief by then.

Hope all goes well for you and yours.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wondering if we should reschedule?

September is a longs ways away. This whole year has been odd but "typically" the monsoons start early July. Keep an eye on the weather. If the rains come then it will all get better. That should give you time to decide.

An aside http://www.9news.com at this moment in time has a graphic showing "rain in the area" I am not getting any though it looks like it should be. Hopefully it is other places.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,793 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wondering if we should reschedule?

We were just in Colorado Springs this weekend and there were times when the smoke came down into the city and made things difficult for those that have breathing issues. My FIL didn't seem too impacted by the smoke and he is on oxygen at night. The fire near Durango is still burning as well but I don't know how it has impacted Durango.

Check this link for info on Co Springs http://www.visitcos.com/fireinfo

Fire info at www.inciweb.org

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wondering if we should reschedule?

Personally I would reschedule for September - It will be a lovely and cooler time of year to visit.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wondering if we should reschedule?

Rereading my reply I think I was not clear. I too vote for September.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wondering if we should reschedule?

Thank you all! You made me go with September, now to see if we can change all our reservations. We rented a house in both locations, so hopefully they will let us switch dates. I've been to Colorado many times and can't wait to show my kids how beautiful it is!

7. Re: Wondering if we should reschedule?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 05:17