We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on route from Durango to Jackson Hole

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin,TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on route from Durango to Jackson Hole

Not sure if this is a good place to ask. We found ourselves with some extra vacation time and so we are now going to add a trip to Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP to our trip. We were originally just going to Durango and Ouray. Now we will be heading north between those two stops.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a route from Durango to Jackson Hole? We are traveling with kids and pulling a trailer so we want to break it up into 2 days. Don't want to camp -- will just be looking for a hotel that night. Mapquest puts me going through Monticello, Moab, and Provo and then heading north on 89 and 61. I'd love to take a different route back (from Bridge Bay CG in YNP to Ouray). Again, splitting the trip.

Any thoughts on interesting sights, a good place to spend the night, etc. are much appreciated.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,920 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on route from Durango to Jackson Hole

There are two almost identical (timewise) routes between Durango and Jackson. The route you describe through Monticello, Moab, Provo is the easiest and probably quickest. You have great highway much of the way and no real issues pulling a trailer. You'll do a few small passes between Price and Spanish Fork, but nothing of great consequence. From Provo, do take the Provo Canyon route through Heber and up to Park City. Park City would be a great stop but it's seven hours actual drive time. You could also stay in Provo, which would be six and leave you six the next day.

The other route takes you up to Grand Junction to Rangely and up to Wyoming. The stretch from Grand Junction to Rangely is probably not good with a trailer - very technical mountain ridge road. I drive to Colorado a lot (without a trailer) and used to take it, but it was a beast to drive even without a trailer.

Coming back it really depends on where you exit the park. Coming out of Bridge, maybe exit Cody to Riverton to Rawlins to Craig and then down to I-70. That route is decent with a trailer. Craig to Meeker is a bit aggressive, but not like the Grand Junction to Rangely section, in my opinion.

Have fun.

2. Re: Advice on route from Durango to Jackson Hole

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2013, 10:17