We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does airport close when under "winter storm warming"

Pagosa Springs...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does airport close when under "winter storm warming"

With winter storm warning coming in; for example tomorrow expected snow all day, does the Durango airport typically shut down?

Theres nothing on airport website and no one to answer the phone. The airline can't tell me until the day it happens.

Edited: 27 January 2013, 21:34
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does airport close when under "winter storm warming"

I couldn't find any information about how often the Durango airport has been closed for weather conditions, but I'm guessing not very often at all. Some of you Durango folks correct me if I'm wrong! The airport is actually the Durango-La Plata County airport, and it is not really in the mountains, but about 15 miles to the southeast, so not as affected by the mountain weather. Not to say that there couldn't be some snow or even possible delays.

http://www.durangogov.org/index.aspx?nid=202

"The airport uses large plows, a broom sweeper, and two large rotary snow blowers to keep the runway clear during winter. The airport has a variety of smaller equipment that may be used if needed. "

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,899 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does airport close when under "winter storm warming"

No one can tell you that about any airport until there's actually a reason to close. I wouldn't sweat it too much - nothing much you can do anyways. If they can't get you in safely they'll take you somewhere else and eventually get you there.

Good luck.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does airport close when under "winter storm warming"

Most airports deal with the moment. Especially mountain airports. If the skies open up while flights are due in, they usually land. There always seems to be holes in storms. A winter storm warning doesn't mean that it will snow non stop for the whole period. If the moment is clear the planes will land.

4. Re: Does airport close when under "winter storm warming"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Durango
Recent Conversations