We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dog friendly lodging and mountain biking with dog

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
socal
Level Contributor
955 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
dog friendly lodging and mountain biking with dog

I will be on a road trip to Ouray from Southern California. Thinking about taking the scenic route and going through Durango.

I will be bringing my black lab with me and wondering if there is NICE lodging that is dog friendly and also if there is good mountain biking trails that allows dogs to run along side.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,708 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dog friendly lodging and mountain biking with dog

Not sure what is nice lodging to you but there are a number of dog friendly options in Durango. dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guide…

As for bike trails, I have no idea...but sounds dangerous to both rider and canine. I would contact one of the bike shops in Durango, I'm sure they ride with their dogs and would have some better info for you.

socal
Level Contributor
955 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dog friendly lodging and mountain biking with dog

Oh excellent link...and good suggestion about the bike shops!

Thank you!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,337 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dog friendly lodging and mountain biking with dog

travelwriterwannab, just adding my 02 on biking with a dog. We used to all the time. In Summit County it is common enough to see dogs running along side. I have not ridden in Durango though. My word of caution is like people some dogs have trouble with altitude. You will want to keep a close eye on the Lab. Like us they have trouble catching their breath. Dehydration is a big issue too for the pups. Make sure there is water on the trail or be prepared to carry extra for the pup.

Me, even though I love taking my dogs with me, I'd not take a flat lander Mtn Biking. You know your dog best though.

For lodging you might try calling the chamber.

http://www.durango.org/

or the Doubletree might work

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

Edited: 01 July 2013, 15:50
socal
Level Contributor
955 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dog friendly lodging and mountain biking with dog

I am so grateful you mentioned this about my flatlander lab, honestly that never occurred to me and it should have!

Maybe an alternate activity that doesn't require as much exertion for her is in store!

Thank you!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,337 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dog friendly lodging and mountain biking with dog

You are welcome, I'll bet she'd love to go hiking!

socal
Level Contributor
955 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dog friendly lodging and mountain biking with dog

Yes she does love hiking! The highest elevation she's ever hiked is about 7,000 ft so definitely is more doable for her.

Thank you!

I see you are in Keystone...love!

Durango, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: dog friendly lodging and mountain biking with dog

We have a favorite local source: http://www.trails2000.org/

Locals are helpful with this stuff, and so are the bike shops. So, Still great advice.

Some trails are great for animals because they follow along a stream or pass/end at a lake or pond for a water source. This can be good reason to stop and let your Lab catch a break at altitude.

We suggest the Colorado Trail. Have fun and travel safe!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,708 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dog friendly lodging and mountain biking with dog

I would be wary about letting your dog drink from local streams or lakes due to Giardia (parasite)

9. Re: dog friendly lodging and mountain biking with dog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 06:18