We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durango/Ouray over Memorial Day weekend

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,245 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Durango/Ouray over Memorial Day weekend

Hello, I'm planning a trip to Colorado from the UK next May 2015 and I've discovered that Monday 25 May is a public holiday. My provisional itinerary has me in Durango or maybe Ouray that weekend. Is it is likely to be very crowded (and expensive) over that weekend? Is it best to avoid those dates? Thanks for any advice you can give!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,931 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durango/Ouray over Memorial Day weekend

I wouldn't plan around it. It's also very early in the season, especially in Ouray. If those are the dates you are there, I would not seek to plan around it. You should be fine.

Have fun.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
415 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durango/Ouray over Memorial Day weekend

Durango is fairly busy over Memorial Day weekend, as it hosts the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic (cycling event where participants race the train to Silverton). A neat event to watch, however, there will be road closures / delays on Hwy 550 between Durango and Silverton. The highway is closed between Durango Mountain Resort and Silverton between 8am and 1pm. Lodging rates might be a little higher that weekend due to the growing popularity of the event. In 2011, there were 3500 participants in the 5 different cycling events over the weekend. http://www.ironhorsebicycleclassic.com/

Ouray will be quieter, as it is still early season in the mountains.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,245 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Durango/Ouray over Memorial Day weekend

Thanks for the heads up, I think we will plan to be there earlier or later.

4. Re: Durango/Ouray over Memorial Day weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Durango
Recent Conversations