We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fastest Route to Durango from South Texas?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fastest Route to Durango from South Texas?

Can anybody suggest the fastest route from San Antonio to Durango. Please help settle the dispute with my husband regarding interstate vs. straight line travel. We'll be traveling in March. Thanks.

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fastest Route to Durango from South Texas?

I-10 to 285 thru Carlsbad, Roswell. Then Albuquerque up to Farmington and on into Durango. About a 14 1/2 to 15 hour drive.

Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fastest Route to Durango from South Texas?

Honestly, the fastest route is Southwest Airlines.....

It is a heck of a drive and one we did 4 times a year......

Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fastest Route to Durango from South Texas?

Honestly, the fastest route is Southwest Airlines.....

It is a heck of a drive and one we did 4 times a year......

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
127 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fastest Route to Durango from South Texas?

I think that you have to consider that so much of your time is spent getting out of Texas. I start in Houston, so I also go up through Amarillo and across through Albuquerque, then north to Durango. In Texas I use the straight line method combined with Interstate. That is I will tend to choose a straight line over interstate, up to a point. Over long distances you make better time on the old interstate.

For you I agree that I-10 is the way, but I would not get off at Carlsbad, just go on through El Paso, and up I-25. 285 is very nice though NM, but it will take you longer IMHO. I went up that way last summer.

By the numbers, reference 06 Texas official state issue map and the RM Road Atlas.

It is 548 mi SA to El Paso, and 207 on up to ALB. That is 755. Avg 70 mph, it is about 11 hours.

SA to Pecos is 363. From Pecos up 285 it is 410mi to ALB. 773 by way of 285. 285 goes through several towns. No way you can beat the I-10, I-25 route.

It is about 780 up through Amarillo, but that is a very indirect route.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
127 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fastest Route to Durango from South Texas?

I got distracted and hit submit too soon. The previous info is only to ALB. Then NM 550 up to Durango. Very senic route, and the shortest route too.

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fastest Route to Durango from South Texas?

I know flying is expensive, but also keep in mind that with a 15 hour drive, you will probably need a hotel room. If you are traveling over spring break, rates will be high. Also, gas in New Mexico and Colorado is not as cheap as Texas. Based on conversations with my family in Dallas and Austin, we are paying anywhere from .40 to .60 cents more a gallon for gas than they are.

Prior to moving here, I spent many years vacationing with my kids in Colorado and we did the drive for many years. I found that when I did finally fly, I enjoyed the vacation much more. Southwest will often offer special deals, or have in the past. One year I flew into Albuquerque and rented a small car, making the drive from there. It was a great option. Just a thought.

Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fastest Route to Durango from South Texas?

We have driven Durango to Dallas too many times, most recently a few weeks ago. We've tried most of the routes on that drive. If you take the "straight-line" method from San Antonio, depending on your route you may end up on I40 east of Albuquerque. If so, you might consider going north off I40 at Cline's Corners/Hwy 285, and up through Santa Fe, to Hwy 84, Pagosa Springs, and to Durango.

Albuquerque freeways ALWAYS seem to be under construction, and the drivers can be reckless. The Santa Fe cutoff mentioned above may be a few minutes longer if you can sail through Abq traffic, but is prettier than Abq-Farmington and shorter time-wise if you get stuck in Abq.

8. Re: Fastest Route to Durango from South Texas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Durango
Recent Conversations