We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Durango from So Cal???

Orange County
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
To Durango from So Cal???

We are thinking of a road trip to Durango from So. Cal. What is the best way to get there? Any recommendations on where to visit along the way? Hotels?

While in the Durango area we plan to take the Train. Any recommendations on where to stay? Cabins? Hotel with teenagers?

Am I crazy to drive all this way???

THX!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,401 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Durango from So Cal???

Since Durango is barely into Colorado you might want to post this question on the Arizona forum site. Check out Durango on this website http://durango.reachlocal.net/. It is a long drive but hey, it is worth it if you like beautiful mountains with lots to do.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Durango from So Cal???

Directions depend on where in So. Cal you are. Try http://maps.google.com/. It looks like you'd probably want to go through Flagstaff and from there it's pretty straightforward how to get to Durango. For a hotel in town, the Doubletree looked like the nicest. Overlooks the Animas River. The Jarvis Suites aren't too bad and they're right downtown. There's also a Best Western and a Holiday Inn near downtown. Other than that, there's a bunch of hotels along 550, like the Hampton Inn. We wanted more space so we looked at VRBO (vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…2335) and found a nice condo in the Dalton Ranch Golf Course area (about 7 miles north of downtown.)

Are you crazy? I don't know what you're looking for. If you simply want mountains, there are closer mountains. But each little mountain community is unique. Maybe you've been to all the nearby ones and are looking for something new and so you have to drive a long way. We drove all the way there from Ohio and took 4 days to get there. Spent a week in July. It was a lot of fun.

If you have time, along the way, see any of the National Parks, such as Grand Canyon. Flagstaff has 3 you could see in about one day: Sunset Crater, Wupatki, and Walnut Canyon. You might also want to stop in and see Sedona. While in Durango, you can see Mesa Verde (about an hour from Durango to the main visitor center), or you can see it before you arrive in Durango.

Wild, Wild West
Level Contributor
430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Durango from So Cal???

You don't say when you want to go or what you want to do when you get there but.....

We live in SoCal and have family in Durango. We drive back there every year from Oceanside (grew up in Irvine). We pull a trailer full of dirt bikes and it takes us 13 hours. To us, it is totally worth it. We love the area and plan to move there when we retire in 8-10 years.

We have kids that are 12 & 14 and we stay busy, busy, busy!! White water rafting (or floating if it's low water), horseback riding in several locations, the train to Silverton, the hot springs over in Pagosa, hiking in the national forest, Durango is a mounatin biking mecca and of course, we ride our dirt bikes daily!! We haven't been to any but many people go to the Indian ruins out in Mesa Verde(?).

The easiest route would be to fly but if you want to drive, NB 15 to EB I-40, I-40 to Gallup, New Mexico and then North on 666 (I can't remeber it's new #) *basically* all the way to Durango....It's not a scenic drive at all until you reach Aztec, New Mexico about 45 minutes south or Durango and then it gets REALLY good. We always leave at about 7 PM and I drive straight thru the night. That way the kids sleep and I can keep the stops to a minimum.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Durango from So Cal???

The other posters are right. It depends on how long you want to spend for this drive. You can make it a very scenic one. For the train, don't wear white clothes, they will be black afterwards. Maybe the trainride to Silverton and back by bus. Fyi. Classic route 666 has been renamed to nm491. Hate them for that.

If you want to drive I 40 to Gallup and north to Shiprock, maybe take exit 53 instead and drive nm371. Brings you to Farmington and halfway are the amazing Bisti Badlands. A hidden gem.

Tet

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Durango from So Cal???

Not sure if you have made your trip or not, but would recommend the Leland House to stay in town in Durango. Walking distance to train station, off the main highway and they offer suites and an awesome breakfast at their partner inn across the street at the Rochester Hotel.

6. Re: To Durango from So Cal???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 05:22