We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best local eats

Which Fort Collins hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best local eats

Hello, We will be in Fort Collins tomorrow 5/22 through Sunday 5/25. We love local style comfy eclectic places to eat. Our budget is middle of the scale for food, we do not really want any high end places, just great food, local fresh and homemade. Any suggestions? We are open to most styles of food.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best local eats

alli suggested an interesting restaurant in this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33423-i1596-k7470…

Hopefully someone else will chime in. (I'm not familiar with that area but I recognized you from the Maui forum.)

Edited: 22 May 2014, 00:38
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best local eats

Thanks Babalax!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,023 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best local eats

It has been reported that Fort Collins has more restaurants per capita than any other city in Colorado and more than most cities in the United States. The problem is there are not enough chefs to go around.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,169 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best local eats

When we visit family in the area, we always go to Vern's at La Porte for breakfast at least once, but we talked to their neighbors and they love it for lunch, as well, and always include a piece of homemade pie. It is a local icon, a quirky diner filled with taxidermy on the site of an old stagecoach stop. They are famous for their plate-size gooey cinnamon rolls. (For those who don't eat gluten or are low-carb, their green chili is not made with flour, and it is yummy.)

www.yelp.com/biz/verns-place-laporte…

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33516-d38…

We have also eaten at Doug's Day Diner for both breakfast and lunch. Very tasty.

http://dougsdaydiner.com/

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33423-d23…

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best local eats

Thank you missp..... we had breakfast at Doug's Day Diner this morning......YUM, it was fantastic! They serve these amazing griddle fried biscuits and the homemade strawberry jam is to die for.

We had breakfast yesterday at Snooze in old town and it was really good as well although my husband had trouble with the 40 minute wait because he was really hungry. Both places cook everything from scratch and were very fresh.

We had dinner at Taps Sports Grill last because my step-son goes there, it was good, they smoke all of their meats in house and had a killer shrimp/cream cheese egg roll appetizer and a decent chili Colorado.

I will report back after a few more meals out, tonight it is hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill at our VRBO rental.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,169 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best local eats

Will have to put Taps Sports Grill on our list!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best local eats

Okay, so we had breakfast at the egg and I, good but nothing out of the ordinary. We really like places that have interesting local takes on their menu's and a chain does not really offer that. We were treated to breakfast so could not really choose.

We went to dinner and the graduate wanted Italian so we went to Panino's. VERY good and reasonably priced. Pretty traditional Italian food but very fresh and cooked from scratch. Everyone LOVED what they ordered; mussels, lasagna, bruschetta, and two really good soups. We also ordered the stuffed cinnamon roll poppers for dessert......perfect for 4.

I will be posting reviews also but wanted to report back here for those looking for places to eat.

We also went to the New Belgium brewery, FUN! We did NOT have reservations but put our name on the stand by list and had to wait two cycles (30 minutes each). It was a perfect way to enjoy the afternoon.

Next time we visit Fort Collins, and OH YES there will be a next time we plan on taking a day trip to Estes Park and will check out another brewery or two.

Today is Old Town and another restaurant for lunch, I will report back!

We are really loving our time here, what a beautiful town and state.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best local eats

Thanks for reporting on the restaurants you enjoyed. Glad you were able to get in for the New Belgium tour. As you could tell, it is very popular.

Was this your first trip to Colorado? When you return you will want to plan on spending more than a day in Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. It is so beautiful there - it'll knock your socks off :)

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,023 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best local eats

Sometimes our local restaurants expand. The Egg and I originated in Fort Collins. It was not always a chain. Snooze now has about 10 locations and they started in Denver. Very popular Lucile's is up to 5 locations and began in Boulder. Even Panino's has several locations.

Ditto what Babalax said about Estes Park and RMNP - plan more than a day trip. It will take most of a day just to drive and explore Trail Ridge Road over to Grand Lake and back.

I do hope in between the stormy weather, you have had a chance to drive up the Cache La Poudre Scenic Byway which starts about 15 minutes from Old Town. The Poudre River is really high right now. Has anyone mentioned to you that Old Town Fort Collins was used as the model for Disneyland's Main Street USA?

history.fcgov.com/archive/legends/disney.php

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
40 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best local eats

Second Street Brewery is really good. I think it's on Harmony. Happy Hour specials are 1/2 price appetizers...can make a meal out of them. Very nice atmosphere...families, groups, etc. Prices are reasonable.

Beau Jo's Pizza is a favorite..they have moved to a new location, about a block north of Old Town. Great pizza!

Backporch Cafe is a lovely little restaurant for breakfast or lunch....eat outside if weather is nice...the garden is beautiful.