We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colorado Backcountry Rentals Took Our Money (and tried to...

oklahoma
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Colorado Backcountry Rentals Took Our Money (and tried to...

At our hotel, we saw a flyer for Colorado Backcountry Rentals for Snowmobiles. It was a nice flyer, with full price listings, disclaimers, pictures, glossy and very professional. We called, and to our surprise, a snowmobile reservation was available despite it being Spring Break for one mobile with two riders. Since it was within 72 hours, it was 100% non refundable. We showed up, very excited on the day of our ride. The owner thought we would have more fun on two mobiles instead of one, so we signed up for two. We paid our money, and he made a scan of our credit cards (an open register slip) in case anything was damaged on the vehicle upon its return, which we were asked to sign. He said we would get these slips back as soon as we returned the vehicles in good condition. After going through the introductions to the machine, etc., as we were about to head out with the owner to the top of the mountain, we received a phone call of a family emergency at home. Explaining this to the owner, he informed us that we could not get any money back for the second snowmobile, even though we had not reserved it in advance, and that we could not get a gift certificate or anything of the like. In addition to this--the most disturbing--he rushed us out of his shop, very annoyed acting, and said that people lie to him "all the time" (as if we would lie about a family emergency), and when we asked for our credit card scans, he said 'absolutely not, I'll mail them to you once you get home' and shut the door in our faces. We immediately went to the police since he refused to give us our open-ended credit card slips back as promised. An officer promptly called the owner. He explained to the owner that he could not charge anything else on the cards or it was a criminal offense and asked the owner to give us back the slips. The owner then told the police officer that he does not have to give us our credit card slips back at all. The police officer was baffled as to why he would want to keep them. The owner then requested to talk to me, saying he would give us our money back for the second snowmobile, but not our credit card scans. We insisted on getting the credit card scans, in the presence of the officer, and the owner said he is "compromising" by giving us money back instead of the scans. We said we would rather have the scans back than the money, he said we could only have one. So, the police officer went to him to get the credit card scans instead of our refund. This company dealt with us horribly, and looking back across all the stories the owner told us during the intro about people having to pay for a whole new snowmobile over a little bit of damage, the comment about everyone "lying and backing out", and the fact that they charge you $75 an hour for them to come get you if the snowmobile breaks down, whether its their fault or not, the fact that there are no refunds if the machine breaks down due to no fault of the rider, etc., makes this seem very much like a scam to me to get tourist's hard earned money. My advice is to never rent from Colorado Backcountry Rentals in Frisco, Colorado.

Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Colorado Backcountry Rentals Took Our Money (and tried to...

We happened to be there the day tihs took place in March. In Short there was no emergency. The young lady was lying. My family heard her tell the boy she was with they should go skiing instead since it was their last day. The owner was going to give there money back until we told him what we heard. They both got very angry and even threatened the owner with violence. He kept his cool and simply walked away. The police did come but they clearly backed the owner.

I was shocked to see this posted on this fourm page. Colorado Back Country Rentals took very good care of us and we will use them again and again. I am just sorry my kids had sit there and watch these two lying teenagers try and take advatage of this business owner.

They end there lying article with "My Advice is" Well my advice to them is learn to be people of honer and truth. We agreed to the same 72 hr cancellation policy and did not try to make up stories to get out of it. By the way all the rental places do this it's not new.

We had a great time and highly recommend Colorado Back Country Rentals to anyone.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colorado Backcountry Rentals Took Our Money (and tried to...

Hmm, seems a little suspicious that the poster above just happened to be there the day of the incident almost a year ago and had family that overheard the proposed scheme, (where exactly were these teenagers scheming, right inside the shop?) Why would they have gone ahead and signed up for a second machine and started to go through the instructions if they didn't intend to go through with it? Would teenagers have credit cards and be allowed to rent snowmobiles by themselves? There was obviously a disagreement that took place and I know there are two sides to the story, but this isn't the way to present the other side.

Does anyone else smell an owner here?

Pennsylvania
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Colorado Backcountry Rentals Took Our Money (and tried to...

For what it's worth... if anyone finds this on Google like I did, I hope it can be helpful.

I had a similarly crappy experience with this jerk. I started to get uneasy when he kept harping on how much money we would owe him if anything broke. I've rented a snowmobile in vermont and had a pleasant and enjoyable time. This was completely different.

It was a blizzard the day that we were supposed to go. We did indeed show up, due to his draconian "no cancellations!" policy, and went up to Vail pass, I think it was. The snow was so ridiculous, we couldn't see more than 10 feet. I spent about 2 hours trying to follow a trail that I couldn't see, most of the time was spent digging out the snowmobile.

It was abosulely insane to try to snowmobile in that weather. The guy even admitted that it was sucky, and we had to cut it short. We probably didn't even make it 1/2 a mile in.

He refused to give any refund, full or partial, and instead offered that we could "remind him of this day, the next time we were there, and he would give us a discount".

I got so mad that I went so far as to report him to the BBB, not that anything would come of it.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colorado Backcountry Rentals Took Our Money (and tried to...

Couldn't you dispute credit card charge once you were home?

Pennsylvania
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Colorado Backcountry Rentals Took Our Money (and tried to...

Probably, but I think I had signed the agreement about no refunds due to weather, equipment malfunction, etc.

I think that he was technically (and legally) doing nothing wrong, he was just a real scumbag.

Florida
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Colorado Backcountry Rentals Took Our Money (and tried to...

Hi we had something simular to us I would like to know did he ever state that he was in law enforcement?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,348 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colorado Backcountry Rentals Took Our Money (and tried to...

With Shaken Bake, peculiar that this would be brought up again after so much time.

8. Re: Colorado Backcountry Rentals Took Our Money (and tried to...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 12:18