We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Colorado Springs

Which Frisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Windermere, Florida
Level Contributor
151 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Colorado Springs

We will be driving from Colorado Springs to Frisco next week to stay for the holidays. Is 24/9 route open in Winter (and groomed if needed) or should we just plan on the I 70 route?

Also is Christy Sports the best option for ski rentals for the kids?

Many thanks.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Colorado Springs

Either way. I make the trip usually once a month as I have family down there. I find the I-70 way just a tad faster. The 24/9 route is more scenic.

If the weather is bad, I tend to go the I-70 route as not as much driving in the mountains.

Ski rentals: Anything is fine. Honestly, kids usually are pretty good with most anything. I do prefer a place that is close to the slopes as if you have a bad fitting boot, bad binding...easy to take back in and switch out.

Matt

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Colorado Springs

The US24/9 route is normally open. In adverse conditions probably no worse than I-25/I-70. If you are worried about CO9 from Hartsel to Fairplay and over the Hoosier Pass to Breckenridge, when I-70 was closed I continued from Harsel on the US-24 to past Leadville and took CO91 to Copper Mountain, and I-70 east to Frisco. A bit longer, but it got me there (and vice versa) several times in th past.

So far I have always rented my equipment at Christy Sport in Frisco. It defintley was cheaper than renting at Copper Mountain.

Windermere, Florida
Level Contributor
151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Colorado Springs

Thank you both so much. We were out on that 24/9 route but many years ago and in June.

We are just hoping to continue to see some snow as we are planning to ski Vail, BC, and Breckenridge over the holiday season.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Colorado Springs

When I lived in the Springs I found the 24/9 route faster. Good advice so far. Both routes work just keep an eye on the weather. WIth 24/9 you can avoid the I-70 traffic and that may be a big factor if you're going up or back during weekend rush.

Have fun.

Windermere, Florida
Level Contributor
151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Colorado Springs

I appreciate that very much. Weather was one of the biggest concerns I had. We will watch it and decide when we get there.

Again, thanks for the input.

Frisco, CO
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Colorado Springs

With good weather I-70 will be faster. With poor weather or rush hours, traffic on I-70 can be miserable and you may find yourself stuck for a while waiting for the traffic to clear. Going 'the back way' as I call it may be longer than driving on I-70 on a good day, but at least it would be always consistent and predictable.

Have a lot of fun! and please post a trip report as you return home as we always enjoy reading about personal experiences.

7. Re: Drive from Colorado Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2014, 17:15