We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver - Frisco - Breck

Which Frisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Denver - Frisco - Breck

We are planning on visiting the end of Feb - beginning of March. We are looking at renting a car instead of taking the airport shuttle from Denver to Frisco. What are you thoughts as far as whether an SUV is needed or not?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denver - Frisco - Breck

Not needed. A front wheel drive will work just as well.

Frisco, CO
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denver - Frisco - Breck

SUV is not required but you will need to carry chains in your car just in case. March is typically the snowy month, so you could get stuck on Loveland Pass or going up the Eisenhower tunnel. Just take it slow if it snows a lot.

Where in Frisco will you be staying and where are you planning to go skiing/riding?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denver - Frisco - Breck

I never worry about having an SUV in Denver. Front wheel drive and general caution is appropriate. If it's really dumping even an SUV is not going to necessarily get you through. Rental car companies will not allow you to use chains. That's when you might switch to the shuttle.

Have fun. The odds are in your favor.

Frisco, CO
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denver - Frisco - Breck

So sorry, I assumed that SUV meant 4x4. Tumbleweed is correct. An SUV may not get you through. A 4x4 would however. Thanks for clarifying rental cars and chain laws. I wasn't aware that they didn't allow renters to use chains. I wonder if it is why we see so many smaller cars unable to make it up to Summit County when it snows. I always thought the drivers were unprepared. Never thought that they actually may be rental cars.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denver - Frisco - Breck

Staying at a condo in the mountainside complex. Plan on skiing in Breck. I was planning on either driving or walking to town and then taking the summit shuttle into Breck transit center.

Frisco, CO
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denver - Frisco - Breck

I own and rent at MountainSide and think that planning on taking the free Summit stage shuttle from the complex will be a little tricky. I personally do not recommend it to my guests. It is doable but very time consuming.

The closest bus stop is 5 to 6 blocks depending on which building your unit is located. This bus stop serves the bus that will take you to Copper Mountain. If you want to go to Breck, you would have to first go to the transit center in Frisco and switch bus. This will be very time consuming.

Walking 5 or 6 blocks to go to Main Street for shopping and dining is easy and a nice walk along non busy streets. However, with ski/riding gear and possibly kids, it wouldn't be so fun as it is quite a workout.

The best options would be:

1) drive to the transit center (less than 5 minutes), park for free there and hop on the bus to Breck from there.

2) Drive to Breckenridge (+- 15 minutes) and park in the free lot by the airport and hop on the shuttle from there and either take the gondola to Peak 8 or ride the bus all the way to Peak 9 (in my opinion less crowded).

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Denver - Frisco - Breck

agree with previous poster, at MtnSide in the winter you are too far away to catch the bus assuming you are carrying your ski gear and everything else.

Thus, if you are locked into MtnSide, I would recommend a car rental so you can get around.

From there, your choice to drive to resorts and park in various free parking lots where you can then catch a free shuttle or go to the Frisco Transit Center behind Wal-Mart and catch a bus from there.

If going to Copper, I find it just as easy to drive to Copper's large free parking lot and catch the free bus but easy to also catch the free bus behind Wal-Mart and get dropped off. Just have to time the bus back otherwise might be waiting around for a few minutes waiting for the bus to show.

Going to Breck: probably easier to catch the Summit Stage as it drops you off by the gondola base. Only piad parking around gondola base.

Matt

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,481 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denver - Frisco - Breck

When we stayed at Mountainside 20 years ago, we made our teenage son walk to the shuttle to meet us at Copper at noon when he didn't want to get up early to drive with us. he only did that once.

Frisco, CO
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Denver - Frisco - Breck

It isn't the most practical currently. The Summit Stage is meeting this coming January to discuss new routes for next winter season and there will be a proposal to bring it back to the complex (It was disconnected in 2003). There are many vacation rentals at Mountain Side and all contribute a fair amount to the Summit Stage through lodging taxes. It would be a great service to all guests and permanent residents who live in the area.

10. Re: Denver - Frisco - Breck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2014, 19:15