We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

relocation

michigan
3 posts
Save Topic
relocation

Hi,

I am considering relocating from michigan. I received the chamber packet and am very interested in your area. I would be looking for employment, housing schools and especially churches. I was told however, that glenwood itself is pricey in the housing department. is that true? I was told to check out new castle. whats the scoop?

jenlyn99

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: relocation

Glenwood is a beautiful, authentic town. NewCastle has lots of manufactured homes and is not very attractive driving by it. Not even in the same league as Glenwood Springs, IMHO.

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: relocation

Sorry dawg, I have to disagree with you. I lived, for 7 years in Glenwood and moved to New Castle 1 year ago. My neighborhood homes are currently valued at 400,000+. Down the street is Lakota

Canyon golf course with single family homes in the 500,000+ range and across the street, Village Homes has started a community with homes starting in the mid 400,000 and up range. You have to get off the highway to see the real New Castle. New Castle was an old mining town and thus the downtown section is, shall we say, a bit rustic. There are 3 mobile home communities in the area. 2 are on the south side of the highway and 1 is tucked behind some homes near the downtown section. Brand new condos are being built jus south of the New Castle exit with a starting price around $225,000.

Now for the answer to your question jenlyn99. I love Glenwood Springs, but it sits in a fairly narrow canyon which means building space is limited. Many of the homes around the downtown area are historical. New homes are coming with a health price tag. Basically the Aspen prices roll down hill and as people are being price out of Aspen, Basalt and Carbondale, they are forced to move further and further down valley, driving up those prices as they go. Add to that the energy boom that is happening just west of here and it is a no win situation for the price of housing.

Prior to moving to New Castle I was renting in Glenwood. 3 bedroom condo in a building that was literally sliding off the hill. They came in "fixed" the complex and that 3 bedroom condo now rents for $1600 per month. They are selling those condos now for 325,000 - $350,000. Also, Hwy 82 runs right thru the middle of Glenwood so rush hour traffic in the morning and afternoon is nuts. It is not unusual for it to backup 2+miles thru town and if you live anywhere near Hwy 82 don't expect to be able to leave your windows open and have your TV drowned out by the traffic noise.

Now that it sounds like I hate Glenwood, I will tell you that if I could find a house equal to what I have now, for the same amount of money, I would move back in a heartbeat. But, that isn't going to happen and I live in a great community with great neighbors (and not a trailer in site). If you want to talk further about the area, I will be glad to help in anyway I can, just email me. Dawg, no disrespect intended. Come visit, I will change your mind about New Castle.

michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: relocation

thanks for the input! I plan to visit Salida, Edwrds and Granby. Any advice? I would be commuting from Keystone. climate- wise, are they pretty much the same? Salida is a little more south so maybe a touch milder?

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: relocation

I apologize, mtnlf! It was that highway view.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: relocation

I hope you either are independently wealthy or already have a job. Salida, Edwards and Granby do not have a lot of high paying jobs. Most jobs are seasonal minimum wage jobs at best. If you are a nurse, doctor, teacher you probably can get a decently paying job.

If you want to move to Colorado and need a decent job, then look at the larger cities, Denver, Ft Collins, Colorado Springs.

Good luck with your relocation.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: relocation

I recommended Evergreen to jenlyn on another posting. Mountain living but commutable to Denver. I know I'm prejudiced because I live here and love it here! =)

7. Re: relocation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2007, 13:25