We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Montrose to Glenwood Springs?

Hawaii
Level Contributor
72 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Montrose to Glenwood Springs?

I am planning a trip to Colorado in June. We will be staying a few nights in Montrose and then are planning to drive up towards Glenwood Springs. How long will it take to get there and what is the best and most scenic route? Thanks!

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Montrose to Glenwood Springs?

Hi

The most direct route, US50 and I-70, will take about two hours.

A more scenic route, US50 to Delta, then CO92, CO133 and CO82, will take about three hours.

Enjoy.

Tony

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Montrose to Glenwood Springs?

I would highly recommend the US50,133, 82 route. Depending on how much time you have, you could stop in Marble. Not much of a town, but the drive up to the Marble quarry is beautiful and they have a great little sandwich/ice cream shop on the right side next to the outfitters. Redstone is another great stop along the way, just about 10 miles (I think) from the Marble turn off. Another great stop with cute shops & galleries, food, a park and public restrooms. Good spot to stretch your legs.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
72 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Montrose to Glenwood Springs?

Thanks for the advice and information. If we take the more scenic route through Marble, do I need to worry about the roads at all? We will be driving through the first week of June.

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Montrose to Glenwood Springs?

Hwy133 doesn't actually go thru Marble. You would have to exit to drive back into Marble. Normally, the roads should be fine that time of year, but you never know. The drive into the town would be no problem, but getting to the quarry could be. The road is dirt, no guard rails, curves and in some places a little narrow. I have driven it in a Buick LeSabre with no problem, but that was later in the summer and fall. If anyone mentions going to the Crystal Mill, just say no. Buy the post card. That is serious 4x4 only road and once you are on it, there is virtually no place to turn around. Don't worry, it is well marked and on the east side of Marble. A detour into Marble would be primarily for the scenery. Even if you skip Marble, take in Redstone. Pretty scenery and a great spot to stroll.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
72 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Montrose to Glenwood Springs?

Thanks again. I haven't heard much about this area, so it's great to get some direction as to what is out there. We won't have a 4x4, either. We thought about it, but figured we would save money for other things. Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Glenwood Springs