We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rifle Gap or Rifle Falls for tent camping?

Chicago
Level Contributor
281 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Rifle Gap or Rifle Falls for tent camping?

Alright. We threw our "must be 15 mns to Glenwood Springs" restriction out the window and have determined its "Colorado or Bust" this summer (heck- the kids don't really need to go to college...). Now the plan is to visit a cousin, camp at RMNP, then go west to R Gap or R Falls for a few days, in which we'll enjoy those parks, visit the hot springs and visit Colorado Ntl Monument. Both parks look great for camping. Is there a reason I'd choose one over the other? Personally, I'm leaning toward R Falls, because the walk-in tent sites looks secluded, but the scenery at R Gap sounds nice. "We" are 2 adults, a 14 year old eating machine and his 10 year old sister. Kids are good campers/hikers/swimmers. Thanks for any input you can share.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rifle Gap or Rifle Falls for tent camping?

Hey, travel makes for better students, anyway. Broaden those horizons!

The nice thing about Rifle Gap is that you can swim at the reservoir swim beach, but it is more open and may be windy. Rifle Falls has creekside tent sites and the falls and some caves to explore. Rifle Gap has flush toilets and coin op showers available in one of the campgrounds, but if you go there you might want to try to get a site in the pinons & junipers of Pinon Campground for a little bit of shade. You wanted a little more seclusion, and IMO creekside is always a plus. I'd pick Rifle Falls.

P.S. Maybe the kids can mow lawns or walk dogs to replenish their college fund.;)

Chicago
Level Contributor
281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rifle Gap or Rifle Falls for tent camping?

Looks like I've picked a winner. One more thing- I've taken some heat from fam. members for sometimes (well, almost always) picking walk-in sites that are more like walk-way-way-in sites...guess I do like seclusion!...but I hesitate to pick the first one or two sites on the trail because I don't want to see/smell the pit toilet. Do you know if that's an issue at Rifle Falls cg? (sites 15 and 16 are closest to the parking lot). I thought 18 and 20 looked nice and close to the creek, but worry a bit about a mutiny.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rifle Gap or Rifle Falls for tent camping?

I like 18, too, but maybe 17 would be a good compromise...a little closer to the parking lot and toilets, but looks like it is close to the creek, too, on the map. It's been a long time since we've been there & we haven't camped there so I'm just going by the pictures and map like you are.

Chicago
Level Contributor
281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rifle Gap or Rifle Falls for tent camping?

17 it is! Truthfully, one looks as good as another. We'll let you know how it works out. Hope there's still water in the creek in August. Thanks again for your help.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rifle Gap or Rifle Falls for tent camping?

I hope so, too! I'll be looking forward to hearing about your trip.

6. Re: Rifle Gap or Rifle Falls for tent camping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 22:16