We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glenwood Springs to Delta

Which Glenwood Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blanchard...
3 posts
Save Topic
Glenwood Springs to Delta

What's the most scenic route? Highway 133, Highway 65 (Grand Mesa Byway), or I-70?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,162 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glenwood Springs to Delta

When is your trip? Will you have time for any stops along the way?

Each route has its advantages.

Highway 133 will take you past picturesque, historic Redstone and over McClure Pass, which has beautiful aspen in the fall, then through the North Fork Valley communities with fruit stands, wineries, and views of the West Elk Mountains.

If you go over Hwy 65, you'll be almost to Grand Junction, so that route will include quite a bit of what you'd see along I-70...buttes and rock formations along the Colorado River and through Debeque Canyon...plus a dramatic climb up and over Grand Mesa with lots of trees, lakes (and flowers right now!) to Cedaredge...more fruit stands, Pioneer Town...and you're very likely to see deer.

Go on to Grand Junction if you want to stop at nearby Palisade, home of famous Palisade peaches, wineries, fruit stands...or if you want to take a drive through Colorado National Monument or stroll downtown with its Art on the Corner and some good restaurants. You have views all around but the Rocky Mountains here are...well...rocky and desert-like on the areas near the highway. Some people don't like the dull brown adobe desert hills near the highway between Grand Junction and Delta, but I like the views of Grand Mesa and the canyons and Uncompahgre Plateau.

I'm hard-pressed to choose a favorite.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
186 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glenwood Springs to Delta

We have just done that route and had a great stop off in Palisades to taste the peaches and the wine, thoroughly recommend

Blanchard...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Glenwood Springs to Delta

I will be going in mid-August. We are making our way from Denver to Montrose. I'm most interested in scenery and the only stops we will make will probably be for scenic pullouts or side roads. Love taking pictures. Sounds like either Hwy 65 or 133 will be our best bet, but I would love to hear some more opinions on which is better.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,023 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glenwood Springs to Delta

If you are in a rental car, I would take this route which includes 133.

http://mapq.st/14Jgyyi

If you are not in a rental car, the route over Kebler Pass (dirt road) through Crested Butte is also really scenic.

http://mapq.st/15fOf9p

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,162 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glenwood Springs to Delta

I think fv's route would be the most scenic; next would be the route through Delta (and quite a bit faster if that matters); and the route over Grand Mesa next best. Unless you would be able to take the time for a drive through Colorado National Monument.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
364 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glenwood Springs to Delta

fv1989 - Is the access road to the north rim of the Black Canyon NP unpaved and, if so, is it OK for rental cars?

Thanks!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glenwood Springs to Delta

This from the website for the Black Canyon - "North Rim: 11 miles south of Crawford, via CO Highway 92 and North Rim Road (unpaved)" - so it's not ok for rentals. There is also no bridge between the north and south side so you would have to go back over the same road to go around.

www.nps.gov/blca/planyourvisit/directions.htm

Also be aware that we are in a monsoon type of weather pattern now and the dirt roads are muddy. It has poured buckets of rain on us here in Western CO in the afternoons. I'm glad because we really need the moisture, but it means you will always want to check out the road conditions before you get stuck in the mud or find the roads been closed due to slides. cotrip.org for the highways. locals for the back roads.

Edited: 10 August 2013, 16:45
Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
89 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glenwood Springs to Delta

consider getting off in leadville and running 24 to the 82 down into aspen co. the run the 82 to the 133 dun that to 12 to crested butte pick up the 135 to 50 east pick up the 92 all the way to delta. does not get any more scenic than that.

12 is a maintained gravel road by the state you will NOT get in trouble if you have a problem on 12 unless you go around the closed road gate when it is down. if you are worried pay the 9 bucks to your own insurance company for a limited loss of use policy. it will save you a lot to use your own insurance company.

it is an amazing ride

independence pass

McClure pass

Kebler pass

and the notch. just amazing

this will give you an idea of the road surface.

prochefblog.com/public_pics/…aspensroad.jpg

Edited: 10 August 2013, 21:08
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glenwood Springs to Delta

bbally, sorry to tell you that the loss of use on your insurance policy doesn't apply to the loss of use that the rental company is referring to. Loss of use of your personal vehicle is what your policy covers - when your own car is not usable you get a rental. When you have damaged a rental car and it is not rentable then you must pay for every day that it is out of service. That is what they are referring to as loss of use. And as we keep telling people here on the forum, the fine print on the rental agreement (and on your credit card, etc.) says that if you drive off of pavement, then you have violated the terms of the contract and the road side assistance offered by both is voided. So we never encourage people to ignore that.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,162 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glenwood Springs to Delta

The road from Crawford which winds past the Black Canyon and intersects with Hwy 50 is a paved highway, but the North Rim road into the Black Canyon National Park that branches off that highway is not paved, and not recommended for rental cars, as SusieLou points out. So it is possible to drive the paved highway from Crawford on south to Hwy 50, then west to the Black Canyon National Park turnoff just east of Montrose. The South Rim drive is paved, as is the East Portal Road. It is a very winding road in places, so it takes a little more time to drive it than the mileage might suggest.