We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from GS to Flagstaff?

colorado
Level Contributor
715 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from GS to Flagstaff?

Wondering how long the trip takes (I hear you can go faster in certain parts..), and if there's a place one would recommend to stay overnight at, on the way. Thanks!

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from GS to Flagstaff?

what time of year?

colorado
Level Contributor
715 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from GS to Flagstaff?

Now...

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from GS to Flagstaff?

This time of year, with short daylight and potentially black ice (or even snow), it probably will take longer than the 8.5 hours MapQuest spits out. I would plan on 10 hours. The drive is all high elevation two lane blacktop, not mountainous.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from GS to Flagstaff?

Depends on which way you want to go. Were you planning to go via Moab? You could spend the night there and see Arches Natl Park. You could also go on to Monument Valley and stay at The View Lodge or Gouldings.

Since you have an overnight along the way, you could also go via Montrose and spend the night in Ouray or Telluride if you'd like to stay in the mountains. Then Telluride to Cortez and on to Flagstaff. That way would take you a couple of hours longer but it should be easily doable since you're breaking the trip up into two days. Do double check road conditions on your date of travel if you go that way, but right now I think the roads are good.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from GS to Flagstaff?

Driving via Moab and Monument Valley will be less tricky that time of year imo. You'll find lodging in Moab Monticello, Blanding, Bluff, Mexican Hat and Monument Valley but you'll need a reservation for Monument Valley at either Goulding's Lodge or The View.

Edited: 18 December 2013, 15:31
colorado
Level Contributor
715 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from GS to Flagstaff?

Thanks everyone. My thought is to go via Moab, the shorter route, and stay overnight there, then drive to Flagstaff next day (our eventual destination is Phoenix, but i think that's only 1.5 hours from Flag...). You think it'll be a lot longer than Mapquest lists, if weather is ok?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from GS to Flagstaff?

I've seen some recent photos of Arches all dusted with snow and it is beautiful! We'll keep our fingers crossed for good weather.

I imagine it will be longer than MapQuest estimates but how much longer depends on the weather, road conditions and how often you stop. As Timo says, with below freezing temps and the possibility of ice, I'd try to drive during daylight hours, for sure.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from GS to Flagstaff?

Count on some 2.5 hours between Flag and Phx depending on where you have to be in Phx. It spreads out far and wide.

9. Re: Driving from GS to Flagstaff?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 06:18