We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rafting and Hanging Lake with 6-year old

Which Glenwood Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Rafting and Hanging Lake with 6-year old

I'm embarassed to say that I've lived in CO for 18 years and have never been to Glenwood. I finally booked a couple of nights later this month. My husband can't take the time off from work, so I'm travelling with my 2 kids - ages 13 and 6.

We want to check out Hanging Lake. Has anyone ever taken a 6-year old there and had any issues with the hike? I hear it's short but steep, but we're used to the elevation.

I'm also looking to do a 1/2-day rafting trip. I see that a couple of companies has "family friendly" trips, but does anyone have experience with taking a young child on one of these trips?

Lastly, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated! We have 2 nights booked at Hotel Glenwood Springs so also plan on jamming in the Adventure Park and the pool in our short stay. Maybe we'll book a third night if we need to.

Thanks!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rafting and Hanging Lake with 6-year old

Your 6 year old will be fine for both the Hanging Lake hike and rafting on the Colorado River. You will find this Hanging Lake Hike family trip report helpful.

thevacationgals.com/family-hike-on-hanging-l…

My small for her age and very timid 7 year old great niece did the Colorado River out of Glenwood Springs as her first whitewater rafting trip and loved it! This is the company and trip we chose but there are many others who do this trip.

coloradowhitewaterrafting.com/rafting-halfda…

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rafting and Hanging Lake with 6-year old

That is really helpful and makes me feel better. Thank you! We're going to try to pack it all in!

Do you think we could do a 1/2-day of rafting and the Adventure Park all in one day? Rafting in the morning, Adventure Park late afternoon/evening (and be able to do the cave tours at that time?)?

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rafting and Hanging Lake with 6-year old

We saw quite a few little kids on the Hanging Lake trail. It is steep and rocky (closed shoes are better then sandals), but it's only about 1-1/4 miles each way. It's mostly in the shade, and there are plenty of places to stop and rest. Bring water and snacks!

Edited: 10 July 2014, 22:13
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rafting and Hanging Lake with 6-year old

The CO River is running really fast right now. My grandkids (7 & 9) were not allowed on a portion of a commercial rafting trip in the Glenwood area last week due to the dangers. Best bet is to check just before you are planning on going.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rafting and Hanging Lake with 6-year old

Thank you, SusieLou. I'm not sure why I didn't even think of that since there are even some restrictions on rivers down here in the Denver area. I'll give them a call before booking anything.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rafting and Hanging Lake with 6-year old

If you want a full day of rafting and adventure park you could probably do it. Four hours there at the adventure park is more than enough to take in the cave and rides. You could even do it in 2-3. If age wise your child can't go on all the rides yet that would cut off time from the adventure park too.

Be sure and dine at the Glenwood Canyon Brew Pub:

http://glenwoodcanyonbrewpub.com/ great food and drink for kids their food was served on a frisbee they could take home. They recently remodeled I haven't seen it, but I liked the look of the place before.

For future reference we've found the Cedar Lodge costs close to half price of other lodging in Glenwood.

http://www.cedarlodgemotel.net/home.html mature trees and beautifully landscaped, helpful and friendly hosts (attentive to the property's needs). It's not fancy or updated in the ways sometimes people want but it's clean and nice lodging. The breakfast is good/adequate, there's two pools (indoor and out) and a scenic location/backdrop. While it's off the busy hwy. it never felt that way at all for us. We always stayed straight back all the way and on the second level.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rafting and Hanging Lake with 6-year old

Thanks for your feedback and recommendations, hatchpal!

8. Re: Rafting and Hanging Lake with 6-year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 03:16