We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jefferson, Colorado - what to in summer?

Which Golden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
154 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Jefferson, Colorado - what to in summer?

We will be staying in Jefferson, Colorado for a week during July. Kids want to be active- trains, ski lifts, alpine super slide, fishing are some of the many things interested in. What is the nearest ski lodge and train depots for,these activities?

Also- suggestions for great active things to do?

Thanks!

1. Re: Jefferson, Colorado - what to in summer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 April 2012, 15:38
Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jefferson, Colorado - what to in summer?

Unfortunately, I think your trusty friend Google Maps let you down this time(Miss WS). Although I too would have no idea where it is if I didn't live in Summit County and have to venture over that way for work from time to time.

Jefferson, CO is an area that is just past Como, CO and as you take Hwy 285 from Fairplay down towards Denver. It isn't even a town so much as a general area. Not sure why Google Maps is soo off but if you would like to know where Jefferson is, mapquest.com it for a more accurate location.

To the OP:

Jefferson isn't close to much of what you are looking for to be honest. More known to be a remote remote getaway. Plus, if you are staying in the Indian Mtn. area which is the biggest area around, you might even be further off the hwy (anywhere from 7-20 minutes depending on how far back in you are...and it can be aways).

Breckenridge is about an hour to an hour 1/2 away depending on where you are. If you are in Indian Mtn., you are about 20-25 minutes to Fairplay and then about 35 minutes to Breck from there. A nice drive to Breck would be going from Como over to Breck via the 33 (if you use Mapquest.com). Dirt road but fairly tame.

Breck will have the Alpine Slide as mentioned above and will be the closest ski area. You can also check out Buena Vista if you are interested in rafting.

The general gist is, expect an hour plus drive for just about anything. Again, closest small town that has a small store for grociers/gas.. is Fairplay which is a 1-stop light town and that is about 15-25 minutes depending on where you are.

I guess my question is, based off of what you would like to do and the fact that you want to be active, why Jefferson? If you have a choice (perhaps you don't) I would consider other areas to stay in based off of what you appear to be interested in.

Matt

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jefferson, Colorado - what to in summer?

Thanks, Matt! I should have known to check both sites, and not to totally trust them...after all, Google Maps puts Gateway near Denver! (Google searches do put it in western Colorado where it belongs, though) I keep asking them to fix it but as far as I know, no luck so far. I'll see if I can get TA to remove my previous post so as not to confuse anyone.

I was also wondering about .bigMaui's choice of where to stay, Matt, considering the things they want to do. But was guessing maybe they have the use of a vacation home or similar situation.

Using Mapquest, it looks like almost two hours to Cripple Creek for the mines and the Cripple Creek-Victor train. Royal Gorge train would be about the same, and the Georgetown Loop train/mine tour a little closer. Leadville and the train ride there might be the best train option. bigMaui, you'll want to read about the different train rides to see which your family might like the best. But as Matt says, it will be a bit of a drive to get to any of them as a day trip. Doable, though. (I'm not one to talk, really...we just visited relatives in Missouri and drove over 2 hours each way as a day trip to see the Mississippi River and the Gateway Arch!)

Maybe you could visit the Colorado Springs area for a night on your way home so you could ride the cog rail up Pike's Peak. Maybe include the Florissant Fossil Beds or the dinosaur museum at Woodland Park, or other nearby activities.

As far as the nearest fishing, there could be a nearby stream, or maybe you could ask the property owner. Matt, do you have any ideas for that?

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jefferson, Colorado - what to in summer?

Fishing- see link

coloradoheadwaters.com/activities/Fishing06/…

If you are staying where I think you are staying, might want to hit google maps or mapuest and see how to wind your way back thru the area and end up over at Tarryall Resevoir.

There is a BLM office in Fairplay near the 1-stop light I mentioned. Well worth it to pay the $3-$5 to buy the Park County map if you are going to some of those back fishing areas. Can get a little confusing driving around out that way if your not used to the area.

Matt

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
154 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jefferson, Colorado - what to in summer?

Thank you Matt. The info was very helpful. I appreciate it.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
154 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jefferson, Colorado - what to in summer?

Yes, we are staying in a friends vacation home and so its very remote. Thanks again for all the help.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,462 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jefferson, Colorado - what to in summer?

http://www.comodepot.net/ is a fun stop not all that far for lunch or a beer. Up from the town of Como is some great hiking and mountain biking.

You can drive Boreas Pass rd over to Breckenridge. There is great hiking all around there as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boreas_Pass

8. Re: Jefferson, Colorado - what to in summer?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 April 2012, 02:01
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jefferson, Colorado - what to in summer?

In the past, I've fished Tarryall Creek above Como in the vicinity of the campground. This is a very pretty stream with some beaver ponds and small brook trout. I've also fished Tarryall Creek below Tarryall Reservoir (about 15 miles southeast of Jefferson) and caught medium-sized brown trout. I think for kids especially, fishing for brookies in small headwaters streams near Jefferson will be fun and relatively easy. You might first check out Jefferson Creek in the Pike National Forest just above (NW of) Jefferson.

I agree with Matt that getting a BLM map of the local area is a good idea. One other possibility is to get a Pike National Forest map at a local ranger station (I believe these are located in Fairplay and maybe in Bailey).

Edited: 30 April 2012, 02:12
10. Re: Jefferson, Colorado - what to in summer?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2016, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Golden