We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uk Disabled Blue Badges

London
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Uk Disabled Blue Badges

Does anyone know whether I can use my UK Disabled Blue Badge in Colorado - mainly Grand Junction area.

I have read conflicting reports on other forums. Any advice would be appreciated.

Anna

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,104 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uk Disabled Blue Badges

Had to look that one up. According to what I read not officially, but I bet if you contacted the Colorado DMV via email they most likely will let you use your pass. Also check to see if you can get a temporary pass locally

http://www.colorado.gov/revenue/dmv

www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite…

London
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uk Disabled Blue Badges

Thank you for replying so quickly

Anna

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uk Disabled Blue Badges

Hi, I too had to look this one up. It appears from the Blue Badge website that there are no arrangements with countries outside of EU. The US doesn't have a centralized system, each state does their own and CO will honor the plates/placards from other states so you might be able to use yours. However, there are some different rules I noticed when I was looking over the Blue Badge info. First of all, never park on yellow painted areas and secondly, always pay the meter. No freebies for having a disabled permit. You will either get a ticket or towed for these behaviors. You may find that you will not need a handicapped permit much here in Grand Junction. Lots of parking areas actually have spots closer to the stores, etc. that are not handicapped only and unless you need the extra space to get a wheelchair up and down a ramp you may do just fine using those spaces. Hope you have a great trip.

London
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uk Disabled Blue Badges

Thanks SusieLou,

On holiday in Florida 2005/2007, we used our Blue Badges without any problems, but I gather from other forums that times have now changed

and some states are quite accommodating whilst others are stricter.

As I don't want to fall foul of the sherriff!! I thought I would check first on this forum.

We are actually going to the Country Jam - 24th June-27th June, (can't wait!), then we will spend a few days exploring the area.

Anna

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uk Disabled Blue Badges

Great - some of my friends who have Major Mortgage are the big corporate sponsors of Country Jam and are hard at work getting ready for it. It is always a big celebration of country music. Just be sure you don't drink and drive, the police are out there and will be on patrol. Here is the link to the shuttle schedule - countryjamgjco.countryjam.com/index.cfm… in case you decide that you would rather not deal with driving. They deliver you to the venue without a hassle of finding a parking spot at all. Be sure to drink plenty of water and wear lots of sunscreen since you will be likely to get dehydrated and sunburned otherwise. Hope you have a great time.

London
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uk Disabled Blue Badges

Thanks for the advice SusieLou,

We are really looking forward to it. Keith Urban, Alan Jackson, Trace Adkins, even Danny Gokey! (Saw him on American Idol - he's very good).

A few years ago we went to the Country Jam at Eau Claire, Wisconsin. I think it was the best ever in terms of artists. Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Sugarland, Leanne Rimes, Trace Adkins, Gretchen Wilson just to name a few. We would love to go every year, but living in the UK, it's a bit too far away!! We love America and try to visit different states whenever we can. We shall be stopping in SFO for a few days before flying to Grand Junction,

so will do a bit more sightseeing there!

Anna

7. Re: Uk Disabled Blue Badges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2010, 05:18