We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-70 closed in Western CO due to fire

Which Grand Junction hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
I-70 closed in Western CO due to fire

I-70 is closed between Palisade and DeBeque due to the Pine Ridge wildfire. The fire has jumped the CO river and the worry is that it will also jump the interstate. If you are heading east on I-70 out of the Grand Junction area and are stranded (because there really is no easy alternative routes tonight), there are some shelter options. Palisade High School has room for 150 people, including pets. The Riverside Park in Palisade is also available for RVs, campers, tents. There is electricity at that site.

If you are able to afford hotels, Horizon Drive in Grand Junction has the most hotel rooms. Fruita also has hotels off of I-70 and Hwy 50.

Alternative routes going east basically will require either going north through Loma on Hwy 139 over Douglas Pass or going south on Hwy 50 to Delta and over McClure Pass into Glenwood Springs.

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: I-70 closed in Western CO due to fire

Hardly any of the state smells like smoke. It just depends on where the wind blows, like being around a campfire. It's a big state with multiple weather patterns, so most places have no smoke (and no fires either).

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,471 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: I-70 closed in Western CO due to fire

I have not smelled smoke in days...

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: I-70 closed in Western CO due to fire

Today we have a little ash and a slight smokey haze. Not bad, with the fire ban going on (no campfires) it just finally smells like a slight hint of summer in the air :-)

Lots of visitors around town enjoying in themselves today!

Edited: 29 June 2012, 21:13
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: I-70 closed in Western CO due to fire

*enjoying themselves today!

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,452 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: I-70 closed in Western CO due to fire

No entire state does not smell of smoke. All will depend on where you are in relation to whatever fire is burning in that area. Everything also depends on wind direction. Remember there are several fires burning in widely varied areas. And wind direction is dependent on all sorts of weather phenomena!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: I-70 closed in Western CO due to fire

We actually have sunny skies and very little smoke in Fruita but it is hazier in Grand Junction. But the smoke we have here in Fruita is from a fire in UT, not from the fire in CO at the moment.

Latest from the incident information system concerning the interstate and detours is this: "Interstate 70 is currently open in this area, but intermittent closures are expected today due to firefighting activity and smoke. Traffic has been diverted around I-70 between mile markers 62 and 49, but this detour could also be closed if the fire crosses I-70 or the smoke becomes an issue."

So as I've posted, do not count on the detour over the Grand Mesa because if the fire jumps the interstate it's going straight up onto the Grand Mesa and Hwy 65. And you do not want to be up there in a forest fire. There is one paved hwy (Hwy 65) going across the top and lots of dirt roads to get lost in. Plus lots of people live, work and play up there so lots of people will need to be evacuated in a hurry. So please plan on detouring away from there before you get out of Grand Junction if I-70 is closed again.

17. Re: I-70 closed in Western CO due to fire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2013, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Grand Junction