We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road conditions between Denver and Grand Junction

Which Grand Junction hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fullerton...
4 posts
Save Topic
Road conditions between Denver and Grand Junction

I'm arriving in Denver on March 26 and have to drive to Grand Junction. Unfortunately, I don't arrive in Denver until 10:00 PM, and have to drive immediately - so I won't be seeing any scenery! (until the return drive a couple of days later). Is there anything I need to know about the road conditions, weather, etc. at midnight around that date? Is it a pretty easy drive? Thanks!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road conditions between Denver and Grand Junction

Provided there is no snowstorm the road is a very nice well maintained interstate. Where the problem lies is with animals. If I have a late flight arrival I always spend the night at the airport, I worry that in my sleepy state I might not notice that deer/elk/whatever jump out in front of me. It is a long drive, about 5 hours+ you know there are flights to Grand Junction - maybe not that late but you could take one first thing in the morning.

Also it can be gorgeous in Denver with a snowstorm in the mountains, so check www.cotrip.org or dial 511

Edited: 14 March 2013, 16:18
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road conditions between Denver and Grand Junction

Yep, it's either the snow or the animals. If it is clear out the animals are on the move. If it is snowy they are bedded down but then so should you. March is the snowiest month in CO and you will be traveling over some very high altitude mountainous areas that can have lots of snow and ice. Grand Junction has a nice regional airport, any chance you can fly straight here? http://www.gjairport.com/

Fullerton...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road conditions between Denver and Grand Junction

That's awesome - thanks so much for your help! This is the first time I've used Trip Advisor, so it's great to get such quick feedback!

This is a work trip, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to make the drive - the first flight the next morning won't get me there on time (I'm leading a time management seminar, and it doesn't look good to be late!). But you've helped me know what to watch out for and what I'm getting into. Thanks!

Fullerton...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road conditions between Denver and Grand Junction

Your advice is heeded . . . I'm going to attempt the drive (at this point), but will do what I have to do to be safe if it's snowing. And I never would have thought about animals - great to know.

Thanks for your help!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road conditions between Denver and Grand Junction

Darn, no way to make an earlier connection to Grand Junction, Montrose, or Eagle?

Another hazard to pay attention to is ice if the temperature is below freezing. If the road looks really dark and shiny, especially if there's snow along the roadside, there may have been melting during the day and when temperatures drop, it can be icy even if the road looks clear.

Grand Junction...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road conditions between Denver and Grand Junction

Great question and too bad you cannot catch the Denver Connect flight. So many of our colleagues use it regularly. Before you go, sign up for the text alerts from Cotrip.org (Colorado Dept of Transportation) and also follow them socially for real-time updates. I receive the alerts as they happen and it helps to plan my travels on I-70. You may look at stopping at the half-way point for the night and get up refreshed to come the final leg into Grand Junction. Eagle would be a good resting point, by then you are past the mountain passes but before Glenwood Canyon and Debeque Canyon. Hope you can stay a bit while you are in town, for all things Grand Junction related go to www.VisitGrandJunction.com or stop by the Visitor Center on Horizon and I-70. Safe travels!

7. Re: Road conditions between Denver and Grand Junction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 04:15