We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight in Grand Junction or Fruita

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,879 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight in Grand Junction or Fruita

Finalizing my June itinerary; our last night will be in this area. We'll be driving in from Frisco, could be from either the I70 (if we take the 133 to the 65 through the Grand Mesa) or 50 (if we go from the 133 to Delta, which is more likely). We'd like to at least drive the scenic road through CNM that afternoon/evening, but it will all depend on time. We'll just be staying the one night before the long drive home the next day. I prefer independant motels over chains, but choice is a bit limited.

So, any reason to stay in Grand Junction vs Fruita?

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,489 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight in Grand Junction or Fruita

I live in Fruita and the hotels here are just about 5 miles from the entrance to the CO National Monument (much closer than any of the hotels in Grand Junction). If you want mom and pop hotels there are two here that get good reviews. The Balanced Rock Motel - tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60776-d1555412… and the H Motel - tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60776-d1804188…

We are right off of I-70 so very easy to get to and get back to your travels. I would not suggest any hotels on the south side of Grand Junction (along Hwy 50) - there are some issues there. Fruita is a safe, small town.

There are some good restaurants here also, and the Monument is a great place for a picnic. I hope you have a great trip.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight in Grand Junction or Fruita

Here's an idea for your arrival and trip through CNM. This is what we did. We arrived late afternoon and went to Muchies which is very close to the entrance to CNM. Get some sandwiches and stuff for a picnic meal up on CNM. There is a nice picnic area up on top. Enjoy the views and scenery. The red dirt and rocks will make you think of Mars.

Muchchies is about 1/4 mile north off I70 exit 19 (CO 340). The CNM is just a couple miles in the opposite direction.

We didn't stay overnight as we had to continue east on I70 after going through CNM.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,879 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight in Grand Junction or Fruita

Thanks for the ideas.

SuisieLou, I was actually concerned that the area around those two might be a bit sketchy (both on the 50). But if you say they're safe, I'll believe it.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
220 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight in Grand Junction or Fruita

Jenazz, if you are coming into Grand Junction from Delta you will be coming in on Highway 50. It will take you right downtown Grand Junction. Check out a few of the hotels and restaurants in the downtown area...Springhill Suites, Hampton Inn and Fairfield Inn...I know you said you prefer non chain hotels but those are limited. You can get to the CNM from the East - Grand Junction side or the West entrance at Fruita approximately 10 miles west of GJ. The East Entrance is easy to get to from downtown GJ and the West Entrance from Fruita. Other than the small mom pop Motels in Fruita the others are also chain hotels at the I -70 exit.

The drive over the CNM will be great in the evening...a picnic dinner is a great idea and any of the restaurants or great sandwich places in GJ and Fruita will set you up.

Have fun...part of the excitement is planning the trip!

FINS UP __/)__

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,205 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight in Grand Junction or Fruita

Both are good choices. As noted, if you stay in Grand Junction go with one of the downtown hotels. Yes, they are chains. But the walking distance proximity to many great restaurants and bars is well worth it.

Have fun.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,879 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight in Grand Junction or Fruita

Thanks. I ended up doing a 180 here - booked a Grand Junction chain on Horizon Dr near the 70. Eh, it'll be a sort-of known quantity to finish out the trip, the rate is good, and there's good freeway access.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
220 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight in Grand Junction or Fruita

Horizon Drive hotel choices are definitely convenient and if the price is right you scored. There are a couple of places on Horizon Drive to catch a nice bite to eat. Look into W.W. Peppers a southwestern twist and some great food. Enzo's is a little Italian hole in the wall that serves up some great pizza choices and pretty decent Italian fair. If you want to grab some food at a grocery store there is a Safeway approximately 1/2 mile west on Horizon Drive from the I-70 entrance. Right next to the Safeway is a My Favorite Muffin for a variety of tasty Muffins. Enjoy Grand Junction and rest up for the drive back. Definitely hit the CNM, you can make the drive up and over in the afternoon early evening and you will love it.

FINS UP__/)__

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,879 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight in Grand Junction or Fruita

Thanks, I'll look into them.

9. Re: Overnight in Grand Junction or Fruita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 05:16