We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a CO family vacay for Spring Break 2019

Austin Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Planning a CO family vacay for Spring Break 2019

Hi! I'm an overplanner and am looking for a vacation home to rent for a week during spring break 2019. We yearn for a cabin in the woods feel with modern perks like cable and internet. My husband doesn't want to stay in a place that is connected to other people, like a condo. We plan to ski one or two days and would also like to go sledding and tubing. We have 3 kids under 10, so we can't be too far out that there is nothing for them to do.

I've been looking into Grand Lake, and it is so gorgeous! Would it be too far off the path to make trips to Granby and Winter Park for skiing and sledding? Is it an easy drive from Grand Lake to Winter Park, or treacherous? We're Texans! ;) Would my kids be terribly bored? Restaurants and night life aren't important factors, as I'll be cooking most of the meals.

Are there other places I should be looking at? In my price range, I'm having trouble finding places in Granby or Winter Park that fit the bill.

Would really appreicate any suggestions or advice!

5 replies to this topic
Sammamish...
Level Contributor
6,749 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Planning a CO family vacay for Spring Break 2019

The drive from Denver airport to Grand Lake takes you over Berthoud Pass, which can be hairy in bad conditions. But once you're over that pass you're in a relatively flat area from Winter Park ski area up to Grand Lake. You don't have to cross any passes to get from Grand Lake to Winter Park or Granby.

I've not spent any significant time in Grand Lake. A group of us go snowmobiling in that area, so I've been through it and stopped for food a few times. Seems like a nice town, similar to many other tourist oriented towns in CO.

It does meet your criteria for a place to stay, but have a look at YMCA snow mountain ranch, between Grand Lake and Winter Park, south of Granby. They have quite a few activities and facilities. Our scout troop used to do winter "camping" trips there because of the activities. That might help with the kid boredom.

You might look around Frisco/Dillon/Silverthorne. I've not looked for lodging, but I suspect there are VRBO or airbnb houses in that area. Lots more activities in that area, and you're close to Keystone, Copper, and Breckenridge ski areas. Lots less driving than staying in Grand Lake and driving an hour to Winter Park. Of course you'll pay for that.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,459 posts
178 reviews
2. Re: Planning a CO family vacay for Spring Break 2019

Are you driving to Colorado or flying in? What is your approximate lodging budget?

Austin Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Planning a CO family vacay for Spring Break 2019

We are driving from Austin, TX. $150/night max for 5-7 nights.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,534 posts
265 reviews
4. Re: Planning a CO family vacay for Spring Break 2019

When you are looking for cabins you probably will doing vrbo or such. Don't forge that they have pretty strict non-refundable policies and you should factor in the cleaning fee when you look at the nightly fee. Also the cabins may be more remote - requiring either 4WD or chains if the road/driveway isn't plowed.

I agree that the YMCA Snow Mtn. Ranch is a good idea. I just don't think that your $150/night is going to be easy to find for what you want.

Delta, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
5. Re: Planning a CO family vacay for Spring Break 2019

I dont know if you are set on that area..but take a peek at the Western Slope. Theres skiing at Powderhorn and Grand Junction is a nice sized town..but once you are out of it..its pretty vast! It even has one of those indoor trampoline places! Theres also skiing in Telluride which is a nice touristy place. Your budget may work better on this side of Colorado!

Reply to: Planning a CO family vacay for Spring Break 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted