We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing in Grand Lake and Shadow Mountain Lake

denver, co
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing in Grand Lake and Shadow Mountain Lake

We will be in Grand Lake/Shadow Mountain Lake area for a few days in August and would like some advice on fishing areas and also inexpensive boat rentals. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Grand Lake
Grand Lake
Grand County, CO
Broomfield, Co
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing in Grand Lake and Shadow Mountain Lake

You can rent a boat from the marina on Shadow Mountain Lake. I believe it's just called Shadow Mountain Marina. Grand Lake is beautiful place to fish, but fishing there is almost always slow. If you want to actually (maybe) catch something, fish in the channel between Grand and Shadow Mountain and troll next to the weed beds in the old river channel of Shadow Mountain. The one time I have seen good fishing on Grand Lake is in the spring when the water is cold, right where it flows in from North Inlet. Caught a nice Mackinaw there (i.e. lake trout) one time. But usually it is slow, as is most lake fishing in Colorado. Not being a fly fisher, I have just learned to enjoy being out on the water and not to expect much in the way of good fishing on Colorado's lakes. If someone else knows better than me how to catch fish on lakes in Colorado, I'd love to hear from them.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Lake
Grand Lake
Grand County, CO
Colorado
Colorado
United States
2. Re: Fishing in Grand Lake and Shadow Mountain Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 08:26