We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a surfboard?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
40 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a surfboard?

Hey! We (me and my boyfriend) plan to visit Arugm Bay in September!

We are in a difficult dilemma whether to buy a surfboard and bring with us or to buy in Arugam bay. (not intrested in renting)

so does anyone knows if there is a good surfboards shop with a shaper and brand new, good quality surfboards in arugam bay>?

Arugam Bay
Beaches, Bodies of Water
Kudumbigala Monastery
Sacred & Religious Sites
Muhudu Maha Viharaya
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a surfboard?

Hey! We want for a month last year and recommend you take your own surfboard if possible. There weren't any decent ones to buy and renting one was worse. You can't take surfboards on public busses but its unlikely you will travel on one. Enjoy - and see you there - we loved it so much last year were going back again : )

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,636 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a surfboard?

Just to add: you _can_ take surfboard on the tourist night buses Colombo town - Abay vv. You'd still need a cab then for the last 32 km airport to town.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a surfboard?

Hi

Taking you own will be much better, even though you find one in Sri Lanka it should have gone from Europe , which meant more costly, taking your one to make sure that at least you have one when you reach there, it will be bit of issue of transporting but it will worth.

Regards

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a surfboard?

I am in Arugam Bay now and I was a bit disappointed in the selection of rental boards. I read it was possible to rent boards here and didn't bring my own because I was only gonna surf for about 1/3 of my trip to Sri Lanka. The selection of boards to buy are even worse. If you are coming to Sri Lanka just to surf, and don't need to drag your board with you to places like Sigiriya I recommend you bring your own.

Also for people reading this considering renting boards: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g3348959-i27137-k6…

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a surfboard?

This mighyt be a bit late for your trip but next tim eyou come to Sri Lanka get in touch with ONDA Pvt Ltd which is the # distributor for surfboards and accessories in Sri Lanka based out of their office in Colombo. NSP, Hayden Shapes, 7S, Gnaraloo, FCS, Sex Wax, Morey and much more available all year round! Sells only , no renting and no second hand but fast, best prices, great service and predictable. Cheers

6. Re: Buying a surfboard?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 November 2013, 11:35
Ulladulla
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a surfboard?

Best to get lessons or rent a board from Hasans surf house it's the first surf shop you come to coming into the town of Arygum bay

8. Re: Buying a surfboard?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 16:06
9. Re: Buying a surfboard?

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 16:06
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying a surfboard?

TA is not for free advertising;-)

Hans

Get answers to your questions about Arugam Bay
More Arugam Bay Topics