We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cili surf shop, do not rent boards here

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cili surf shop, do not rent boards here

I rented a board here for my first day. It was a 7'0 semi-longboard full of old ding-repairs, and looked like a normal used rental board. I checked the board with the the guy renting it, and I pointed out all the old repairs and than the top sheet was damaged in the back. He told me not to worry because they only made you pay for larger repairs. When I returned the board, the guy at the shop pressed really hard down on an old ding repair, and some water came out. He told me I had made a new ding, even thought it was obvious that this was because of an old repair job not done properly. I surfed baby point on a day with a small swell. I didn't wipe out once, I didn't have any collisions and surfed the beach break for half a day. There is no way I could have damage the board.

I ended up paying for a repair which obviously was not my fault just to get my passport so the price for rental went up x 4

If you get to Arugam bay and need to rent boards there are plenty of other shops. STAY AWAY from Cili surf shop if you don't want your passport to be held hostage as they charge you extra for renting an old beaten up board that has been through plenty of ding-repairs. I have surfed for 8 years and because of the airline prices i dont bring my board and have rented boards in Costa Rica, Portugal, USA etc and never had a problem before I got to Cili surf shop Arugam bay.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cili surf shop, do not rent boards here

It's NOT good sense to part with your passport at any time.

Archi

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cili surf shop, do not rent boards here

Thank you for the advice. But when you rent something expensive I accept that the shop has to have some kind of security. As I was saying I have rented surfboards in many countries, sometimes with my drivers license as security and sometimes with my passport. I have never had a problem before. The shop looked serious enough, but I guess maybe I should be more careful in the future. Or remember to bring my drivers license even when I don't plan to drive :)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cili surf shop, do not rent boards here

I never give my passport as security - not even in hotels.

Hans

Arugam Bay, Sri...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Cili surf shop, do not rent boards here

Hi Siverte,

we are very sad about your bad experience with us... we rented out our surfboards thousend times and sometimes stuff like that unfortunately happens

...anyway the guys in our shop check very carefully each board coming back from rental and they charge every ding, from the little ones to the bigger ones and they fix them in order not to have surfboards going out with dings.

When the ding is fixed and dry the surfboard is ready for a new rental.

This is how we work, and of course we do the same inspection on every surfboard coming back in the shop.

All the boards have 1 year life, as we bought them brand new last year....they are not old at all!!!

I can tell you something:

in our esperience (we do this job since 20 years), almost everybody damaging a surfboard doesn't realize he did that !!! what should we do?

Surfborads are very expensive in Srilanka (something like double price compared to western prices!) and fixing material as well, so we have to keep everyone's passport...otherwise bad people could steal our boards..we lost two surfboards last summer because of driving licences!

We are very sorry for your experience but we hope you can also understand our points and hope to surf with you again in Arugam Bay this summer!!

An advice: DON'T RENT OUT SURFBOARDS WITH DEEP DINGS, when water goes inside let that surfboard and go for another one....it could happen that it breaks and have to buy a brand new one!!!!

Be careful!!

Cheers ;)

Cili

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,062 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cili surf shop, do not rent boards here

Hey AbayCili

That is a crock and you know it. If the board has a ding and it has been glassed over, then it is of no consequence to the person that hires it. A ding is a ding and if it has been patched/repaired then it has nothing to do with the product being hired.

The guy seemed honest so you may want to think about how you rent your boards. Maybe take a phone photo, front and back which takes 5 seconds and costs nothing, unless the board is damaged.

As for your advice: how would a novice know about deep dings??? That is a cop out and you need to be more professional IMO :-)

Mark

Edited: 19 April 2014, 15:09
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cili surf shop, do not rent boards here

Hi Mark,

We always do our best to give a professional and honest service to our customers, unfortunaly bad things happen on both sides.

We always take care not these things to happen, checking and fixing board all the times.

That's not our way at all...we don't rip off people.

We'll do our best even more in the furture.

Anyway the guy was not a novice at all, 8 years surfing, and our boards where brand new.

That's all

See you in Arugam Bay

Cili

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,062 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cili surf shop, do not rent boards here

Fair enough Cili,

I still think a phone photo of both sides of the board would be beneficial for both parties...

Regards

Mark

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cili surf shop, do not rent boards here

We already do that almost all the times Mark...that's also the reason why we don't fully trust that guy...

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Cili surf shop, do not rent boards here

Im really sorry to you because of I don't no you you don't no me soo something trong really polajajais we have a here we work for love no for money try and try one day have a good life man but don't read like this for people

10. Re: Cili surf shop, do not rent boards here

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 10:05
Get answers to your questions about Arugam Bay
More Arugam Bay Topics