We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski Rental Equipment Questions

Chicago
5 posts
Save Topic
Ski Rental Equipment Questions

Hi everyone. My wife and I are making our first trip to Keystone with another couple at the end of the month. We can't wait! Anyway, I have some questions about rental equipment. We are moderate skiiers who will primarily do the green and blue runs, but may end up running a black or two as we get comfortable. We will be flying in to Denver around 8 PM so I am not sure that picking equipment up on the drive in from an area outside the resort would be practical.

What level equipment would you recommend? My main concern is nice comfortable boots; I doubt we will notice a big difference in the ski quality unless they are just in poor shape.

We have a referral from our lodging reservation to mountain view sports for a Sports Package at 17.25/day or Performance at 23.25/day. Anyone used them before? Would renting from the resort directly be beneficial?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski Rental Equipment Questions

do NOT rent your equipment "on the drive in from an area outside the resort." Always rent at the resort where you're staying in the event boots don't fit right, skis are lousy, something breaks etc. The rental location will know what you need. Just tell them your ability level and you'll be fine. Again, if you don't like the equip after using them switch them out to something else.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski Rental Equipment Questions

There are lots of places to rent near the resort, so I would go with that option. If your flight gets in at 8pm, by the time you rent a car and make it to Denver, most places will be closed anyway.

Rental places are usually pretty good about helping you find a boot that fits well. If you try one on and it doesn't feel right, let them know and they'll put you in another one until the fit is right. Have fun!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski Rental Equipment Questions

I like Mountain View Sports.

One thing, the black runs at Keystone are pretty challenging. You might want to take a lesson before you venture out on one yourself.

Colorado
Level Contributor
391 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski Rental Equipment Questions

Mountain View Sports is pretty good, but I I would recommend Gorsuch in River Run for the best quality www.gorsuch.com/skirental.do?method=home

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski Rental Equipment Questions

I agree Dave, for performance skis Gorsuch. Funny everything else in the store is priced crazy, 3500.00 for a Parka, but gear is very reasonable.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski Rental Equipment Questions

if you use Gorsuch make sure you try out the Kastle skis. They rock.

Chicago
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ski Rental Equipment Questions

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Guess I have to make the decision if the extra $10+ a day is worth it to go with Gorsuch.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ski Rental Equipment Questions

If you plan on skiing more in the future maybe you should consider investing in your own boots. Rent the skis, binding and poles, but bring your own boots. There are lots of end of year clearance sales going on now probably in your own area too. For my own comfort the boot has to be very comfortable and they will last for many years. Something to think about...

9. Re: Ski Rental Equipment Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 05:17