We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Your Ski Instructor

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,468 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping Your Ski Instructor

Sine I have gotten 2 separate PM's regarding the proper tipping custom for Ski/Ride Instructors I thought I'd post publicly.

Yes most people tip the instructor. The amount varies dependent on private versus group, kids, little kids, adults. Yes it can get confusing.

For most groups $10.00 per person is OK, more if you've left a little one kicking and crying and generally being a pain. If they did not call you to come pick up the little darling then you know the instructor did a great job! Consider tipping a bit more. If you are lucky enough to get a private lesson when signed up for a group consider tipping more too.

In a private lessons tips are more $50.00+

Some people feel awkward passing out bills, if you do then bring along an envelope to put the cash in.

In the end it is up to you. If you had fun and improved to me that is worth a little extra $$$

Edited: 16 December 2010, 19:39
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping Your Ski Instructor

Thanks for the info, alli. This brings a question to mind... Sometimes when dropping off/picking up kids, there's been more than one instructor working with them. And there are times, depending on the set-up, that kids are picked up after the lesson (i.e. lesson and then some kind of fun day program) and the actual instructor(s) are out with another group. How's the best way to handle tipping in these situations?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping Your Ski Instructor

As adults, when we've taken ski lessons, we haven't tipped the instructor--never really thought to. Oops.

Our kids were in a local ski club with lessons every weekend--no one tipped the instructors. They were 10 & 13 before they started, so we never had the screaming child scenario descibed by the OP.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,468 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping Your Ski Instructor

Hi MissWestSlope. I knew the Coloradans knew this! Yes with all the coming and going, kids ski school can be chaotic! It has been awhile since I had to take a child to ski school but at Keystone they used to have envelopes available, I am guessing that they still do, if not staple the money to a paper with the name on it. Most ski schools give out a "report card" for the kids. That should have the name of the instructor if not the desk personnel should know.

To others, I know that lessons are costly. Lots of folks feel like they have paid enough already. I'd only ask you to consider that the money, in the case of Keystone, goes to Vail Corporation a for-profit, publicly traded company. Instructors, particularly ones that teach groups get paid very little. Tipping them is similar to tipping the person that cuts your hair, or your waitstaff, or the car valet or whatever. Most would never dream of stiffing them.

Again if you progressed, had fun or your kid made it through the day without a call, or if they had to call. ( the kid was most likely a terror ) A gratuity is in order.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping Your Ski Instructor

Good post. I surprised people would not think to tip a one-on-one service provider - and to hear an entire group did not, ouch!

Also keep in mind - if you have a mutli-day lesson you can bet the second day will be top notch. If there is ever a thought to go above and beyond... tips, tip the scale!

Tips should always be factored in to a vacation budget - you can either afford the vacation or not.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,468 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping Your Ski Instructor

I know 1fourFun,While I get that it is hard to know how much to tip sometimes, I am a bit surprised that some did not know to tip instructors at all. I do know that our international friends sometimes have issues with our "system" Sadly, when people don't tip the only person who that hurts is person who provided the service. It will not change how we pay

( or not pay ) the personnel.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,468 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping Your Ski Instructor

Typo, "Sine" should have been Since....

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,468 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping Your Ski Instructor

After rereading this I thought it may sound like only kids instructors should be tipped, not the case. All instructors would appreciate a gratuity.

8. Re: Tipping Your Ski Instructor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 22:35
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping Your Ski Instructor

Ali -

Do you know how well the instructors know each other? The reason I ask is this. My son had a lesson a few weeks back. It was an all day group lesson. The instructions left were that my son could walk back from the lesson by himself if we were not at the ski school to pick him up. We were staying in Lone Eagle and he is a very mature 12 so we had no issues with him walking across the bridge and to our condo. Our intent was to pick him up, but if for some reason we were stuck on the mountain we didnt want to have him waiting for us. Anyway the lesson actually ended with the kids calling from the Summit House and asking the parents if they wanted to ski down with them. A pretty nice touch by the instructor. Anyway I had finished skiing for the day so I rode the gondola up to pick up my kid. When I arrived the instructor had already taken off. Which was fine with me. Anyway I stopped by the ski school after downloading and dropped off a tip in the envelope asking that it be given to the instructor. The person I gave it too seem pretty hesitant to take it and seemed to not know all the instructors. I am hoping that the tip made it to them. He was great with my kid and provided us with a very good detailed report at the end of the day. It would be a shame if he missed his tip because someone didnt know who he was.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,468 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping Your Ski Instructor

I am confused by the post, but thankful that you asked!

Overall, it depends. New instructors know few. It is like the first day of high school. Then if one teaches out of Mtn House and the other out of River Run, then no, they probably don't know each other by name until the next year.

Best bet. Leave the money with a desk person. Or if you "check up " on the lesson slip it to the instructor then.

Kids school is crazy confusing!

Glad you had a good time!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Keystone